Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I HAVE 2 TOSHIBA 55" CHROME CAST TVS. OVER THE WEEKEND,

Customer Question
I HAVE 2 TOSHIBA...

I HAVE 2 TOSHIBA 55" CHROME CAST TVS. OVER THE WEEKEND, POSSIBLY IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE TIME CHANGE I LOST MY 2.4 WIFI AND THE TV'S WENT INTO RESET

Technician's Assistant: Who makes your router?

.ITS AN ATT UVERSE. I DIDNT FINISH HIT THE SEND BUTTON BY MISTAKE. WE MANAGED TO GET THE TVS TO SIGN BACK ONTO THE MODEM AND WE CAN CAST FROM A SMART PHONE TO THEM BUT THE GOOGLE CHROME ON MY LAPTOP DOESNT SEE THE TVS

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

IVE SPOKEN TO GOOGLE NO HELP ATT CAME OUT AND FIXED THE WIFI

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Networking
3/14/2018
Network Technician: Nathan, System Administrator replied 1 month ago
Nathan, System Administrator

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Please unplug power to the tvs, and the modem/router, for at least 5 minutes

during this time, reboot the computer as well,

replug the modem, wait a few minutes, then the tv, then try again and let me know the results please.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
nathan we have done this multiple times and it has made no difference. the wifi sees the tvs and we can cast from a smart phone but chrome on my laptop says "no cast devices found" spo the problem im told is that the tvs have lost their connection to chrome or its a chrome problem. I have had an ATT tech out and spent 3 hours on the phone with google to no avail. i fell for the JUst answer come on online and out of desparation thought id give it a try

When Att came out, did they replace the router?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
NO IM NOT SPENDING ANOTHER DOLLAR

I’m have not asked for anything else.

You are seeing an automated ad by the site for a call or remote session. It is not sent by me. This is optional and may be ignored if you wish.

You have paid the full agreed upon fees (5 to ask your question + balance/total upon speaking with me here) noted on the payment page when posting your question for this chat support.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
THEY DID NOT NEED TO REPLACE THE ROUTER WE HAD A BAD WIRE TO THE BOX THAT CONTROLS THE 2.4 WI FI

The box that controls the wifi is the router, that is why I was asking.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I UNDERSTAND COMPLETELY. THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE ROUTER
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
IM COMMUNICATING WITH YOU ON IT NOW
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
AS I SAID BEFORE THE WIFI SEES THE TVS....CHROME DOESNT
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I CAN CAST THROUGH THE WIFI WITH MY PHONE NO PROBLEM
ALSO WE HAVE TRIED 3 LAPTOPS AND NONE OF THEM WORK THROUGH THIS PROBLEM SO ITS NOT A LAPTOP PROBLEM

When you go into the tv setup, does it show as connected to the 2.4 network still (assuming that is also what your phones/laptops are o), as opposed to a 5ghz network

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
THE TVS SHOW CONNECTED TO THE 2.4 ...THE 2.4 SHOWS THE TVS CONNECTED AND WE HAVE TRIED THE LAPTOPS ON BOTH THE 2.4 AND THE 5.0 ALTHOUGH BEFORE THIS BREAKDOWN OCCURRED THE TVS WORKED FLAWLESSLY FOR 6 MONTHS IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE LAPTOP AND THE LAPTOP WAS ALWAYS ON THE 5.0
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I SUSPECT THERE IS SOMETHING IN THE TV SETUP THAT IS MISSING THAT LETS THEM SHOW UP TO CHROME BUT
IM NOT ABLE TO FIND IT
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
IT HAS BEEN 22 MINUTES SINCE YOUR LAST MESSAGE TO ME AND 17 MINUTES SINCE i REPLIED...ARE YOU STILL WORKING THIS CASE? DO I NEED TO GO ELSEWHERE?

My apologies for the delay. The site is not quite instant, but please try to send only a single response and allow me time to receive it and respond back; multiple messages can get lost in the queue and further delayed.

There is no setting on the tv that would cause this issue, nor one that would happen to 2 separate tvs simultaneously, this would be a router issue.

When att came out, they may have changed a setting, updated the router firmware, etc.

You can go into the router setup yourself and make sure that "network separation" or mac filtering is not turned on,

as well as making sure that both UPNP and NAT are enabled.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE ATT TECH MADE NO CHANGES TO THE WIFI THE PROBLEM WAS A WIRE TO THE 2.4 HAD TO BE REFRESHED. ALL DONE OUTSIDE AT THE BOX. HOW DO I ACCESS THE MODEM SET UP TO CHECK THE THINGS YOU SUGGEST?

That really varies depending on the make/model of the router, and if it is att provided equipment, they should do it for you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
IT IS ATT PROVIDED EQUIPMENT. SO IS THAT YOUR ANSWER?

Then you'll need to have att back out to check/change those settings on the router, or more likely the router needs to be replaced at this point.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
IM ON HOLD WITH ATT NOW

Okay

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
THE NETWORK SEPARATOR IS ON
ATT ADVISES THAT THE UPNP AND NAT FUNCTIONS ARE ALLOCATED TO ALLOW ME TO RUN A SECOND ROUTER OF MY OWN AND ARE NOT SUPPORTED WITH MY ROUTER WHICH MEANS THEY WERE HERE BEFORE THE PROBLEM BEGAN AND DONT NEED TO BE NOW

The network separator is part of the problem, if that is on then you could not communicate between the devices. Something they are telling you here is either not correct, or they changed something else that they aren't admitting to. So either they need to change these, replace the router, or you need to buy a new router of your own to use in place of (behind) theirs.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
IM SORRY I SAID THE NETWORK SEPARATOR IS ON AND IT IS NOT. I READ THEM YOUR INSTRUCTIONS AND THEY CAME BACK AND SAID THAT WAS OFF AND AS I SAID THEY DO NOT SUPPORT THE OTHER 2 SETTINGS

They changed something at some point here. They may not be disclosing everything to you, and they may have done a firmware update on the router that changed compatibility or router settings. There is no other reason that 2 separate devices would stop working. If it was a tv issue, then it would not have happened to both of them at the same time.

You can try going into the tv settings menu and factory resetting the tv, then try the wifi setup again from there.

Beyond that, its either trusting att to resolve something that is unlikely they will handle successfully, or getting your own router so you can manage it yourself.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
NONE OF THOSE SUGGESTIONS ARE OF ANY USE TO ME. IM NOT GOING TO BUY A SECOND ROUTER WHEN IVE NEVER NEEDED ONE BEFORE AND THE WIFI IS OBVIOULSY WORKING CORRECTLY BECAUSE IT SEES EVERYTHING CONNECTED THROUGH IT AND THE CAST WORKS ACROSS IT THROUGH THE ANDROID JUST NOT THE LAPTOP..
IM GLAD THIS ONLY COST $5 BECAUSE IT WASNT WORTH ANYMORE. BE GLAD THAT I OPTED OUT OF THE SERVICE SURVEY BEFORE YOU GOT ONLINE.
This was not and never was 5. That was just to post your question not the total to which you agreed on the payment page.
Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer