Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro
Experience:  I am a technology professional with 20 years experience, and hold 15 industry certifications (from hardware/software repair to mobility to IT Security, and everything in-between!).
93256567

I have had a Limia mobile phone for almost 2 years. Google

Hi. I have had a Limia mobile phone for almost 2 years. Google shows it as being registered but when I try to download apps, I get a message that my device is not registered. Also, it is impossible to synchronise my desktop and my mobil;e. This is driving me mad. Can you help?
JA: Does your network appear in the Wi-Fi list on your phone?
Customer: I don't think so.
JA: Are other devices (computer, tablet, etc.) connecting to the router?
Customer: I have a desktop and am about to add a laptop.
JA: Anything else you want the Smartphone Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope, that's it. Thank you.
Hello! The Lumia series of phones run on Microsoft’s Windows Mobile platform, and have never been directly compatible with Google’s apps or services. Even so, we might be able to help! Would you please explain what you’re trying to accomplish in greater detail so that we can better help you?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Eric. Essentially, I want my desktop (& by this weekend, my new laptop) to operate as one system.I have never understood why my mobile shows up on Google as registered but then, when I try to download apps, I receive a consistent msg that my device is not recognised by Google.From your text, I'm gathering that I should ne registering it with Microsoft. Is this correct and, if so, can u step me thru this please?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, sorry.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I cannot afford the fee for u to connect. Perhaps u could send me instructions I can follow to resolve the issue?
Of course! Let’s see if this works better for you so far as getting apps for your phone:Step 1: On the Start screen, scroll down to ‘Store,’ then tap on it.Step 2: Tap ‘applications’. This will take you to a range of categories for you to browse. Alternatively, if you know which app you’re looking for, tap on the ‘Search’ button at the bottom of the screen and type in the name of the app you want.Step 3: Tap on the app you want and then tap ‘Install’ at the bottom of the screenStep 4: The phone will verify your purchase and if this is the first time you’ve purchased anything from the app store, it’ll take you to a screen to set up an account.Step 5: Put in your date of birth and tap on the tick at the bottom of the screen. Then tap on ‘Accept’ to agree to the terms and conditions of the app store.Step 6: Your phone will take a moment to set up your account and then you’ll see a message with details of your new account. Tap on ‘Done’ to complete the process.Step 7: Now that you have an account, Windows will ask to you confirm that you want to install the app you originally selected. It will remind you of the name of the app, the publisher and the price. Tap on ‘Install’ to proceed with the purchase.Step 8: Your app will now begin to download and install. You can exit the process and carry out other tasks on your phone while this is happening, but you can check the progress at any time by returning to the app store and tapping on ‘Check install’.Step 9: Once the app has installed, you can find it in the ‘Games’ folder on the homepage.Step 10: Once you’ve downloaded a number of apps, you might decide that you’d like to organise them in a more convenient manner. One way of doing this is through the App Folder app. Download the app from the store and then create a folder. Give it an easy to remember name and add the apps you want before pinning the folder to your Start screen to save you having to scroll through hundreds of apps to find the one you want. You can create as many folders as you need to make life simple for yourself.Step 11: Alternatively, go into your Games folder and pin all the apps you want to organise into a new folder to the Start screen.Step 12: Once you’ve done this, long tap one of the apps to go into the edit mode. Drag and drop one app onto another to create a new folder and then drag all the other apps you want to add into that folder. Give the folder an appropriate name so you can find it easily.Step 13: Once you’re done, tap anywhere outside of the folder to exit edit mode. You can long tap to drag the apps to reorder them so your most used are at the top of the folder.If you’ve been trying to download apps from Google’s “Play” store, the reason it hasn’t been working is because those apps are meant for a different mobile operating system (Android, which is owned by Google).Please let me know how else I can help!