Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I relocated my computer in my house and when I restarted it…

Customer Question
I relocated my computer...

I relocated my computer in my house and when I restarted it my internet won't connect. It says unknown network/ not a valid ip configuration. I have reset everything a restarted it. It's says the network profile is public and I don't know how to change it to private but I think that might be the issue.

Technician's Assistant: Are you able to connect using an ethernet cable?

No that's what's saying isn't working but my wifi is fine

Technician's Assistant: Which lights are colored and/or blinking on your router?

They are all on...none are blinking..I have 5

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

I'm not good with computers, lol

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Networking
1/7/2018
Network Technician: Byron, PC Support Tech replied 6 months ago
Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.

Please perform these steps on your Windows 10 computer:

Click the start menu button and open Settings (the gear icon)

On the Settings page click Network & Internet

From the vertical menu on the left side of the page select Status

At the bottom of the page click

Network Reset>>Reset Now

and confirm the reset.

The process takes about 5 minutes and requires a restart (you'll get a notification at the 2-minute-to-restart mark)

Once the process has finished and the computer restarted, try connecting again.

Let me know the result please.

There was no change....same error message. No internet access. When I run the troubleshoot under the network status it says "Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration". And now when I try to use my wifi from my phone the network doesn't show up as it previously did but now a generic name like I'm supposed to set up a new network. When I try to setup a new network connection on my desktop however nothing ever populates on the "choose the wireless router or access point you want to configure" page.

Hi. If your Wi-Fi name changed to the name of the router manufacturer it means that the router has been reset.

This is often caused by a power surge or outage. It could also mean the router has been damaged.

What is the brand and model number of your router?

It's an Asus rtac52u
Network Technician: Elgin Vega, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 6 months ago
Elgin Vega
Elgin Vega, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, my name is***** will try my best to help you with this request.

Have you tried to forget the network in the computer and setup again?