Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I have just recently purchased a lenovo ideapad and when…

Customer Question
Hi I have just...

Hi I have just recently purchased a lenovo ideapad and when trying to connect to my home wifi its not working but will work on my mobile hotspot would you be able to help with this inquiry? Thank you

Technician's Assistant: Are you able to connect using an ethernet cable?

Unfortunately noty

Technician's Assistant: Which lights are colored and/or blinking on your router?

Power

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

WAN internet and WLAN

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Networking
1/5/2018
Network Technician: Sheri, Certified Networking Engineer replied 5 months ago
Sheri
Sheri, Certified Networking Engineer

Hi JACUSTOMER-mechj4eh,

Thanks for using JustAnswer. I am happy to assist you with this issue. Is the Internet on your home wifi working for any other devices? Let me know so we can go to the next step.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

Hi thank you for your responseYes it’s working for my phone and others but whenever I connect my wifi to the laptop that is when it causes problems for the laptop and all devices even with just the laptop connected

OK, so the problem is being caused by the laptop itself. It can be several things. What version of Windows are you running on the laptop?

I’m using Windows 10

Ok, let's try a few steps.

• First, in the bottom left search bar, please type command.
  • Click on command prompt in the list that come up. This will open a black command prompt window.
  • Click into the window and at the prompt type ipconfig /flushdns (there is a space after the g, but not after the /)
  • Next hit enter.
  • Then restart the computer and try to connect again.

Let me know if that makes a difference and we can go to the next step, as needed.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

Hi thereI have tried these steps and tried reconnecting to the wifi but it’s still not working

Let's go to the next step.

• In the search bar type network and click on network status.
  • In the window that comes up, click on wifi in the left column under Network and Internet.
  • Click on manage known networks
  • In the list, delete any known networks that appear, by clicking on each and then clicking forget.
  • Next, reboot the computer
  • Log in

Try connecting to the wifi network, making sure to use the correct wifi password.

Let me know how that works.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

This hasn’t worked either
I also just tried using my neighbors wifi and as soon I connected my laptop the problem occurs

What exactly do you mean by as soon as you connect the laptop problem occurs. Please tell me exactly what occurs and whether there are any messages that come up.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

There is no messageBut once I connect my laptop to the wifi nothing loads and the only thing that comes up is to troubleshoot the issue and all devices that are connected can’t load anything either but whenever the laptop isn’t connected the wifi works fine on all devices

OK, on the laptop, do the following:

• in the search bar on the bottom left type device manager and click on device manager when it comes up in the list.
  • Click the arrow next to "Network adapters" to expand the category.
  • Find the device that says wifi in the name
  • Right click on it and choose update driver
  • Search click automatically for updated driver
  • Let it search (if you can do this while plugged into the Internet, you can also choose the selection to Let Windows Update Search for a Driver after the initial search.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

There’s the below options once I expand network adapters and unsure which one to updateBluetooth device (personal area network)
Bluetooth device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI)
Qualcomm atheros QCA9377 wireless network adapter
WAN Minisport (IKEv2)
WAN Minisport (IP)
WAN Minisport (IPv6)
WAN Minisport (L2TP)
WAN Minisport (Network Monitor)
WAN Minisport (PPPOE)
WAN Minisport (PPTP)
WAN Minisport (SSTP)

It would be the Qualcomm. Follow the instructions from earlier.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

Network Technician: Sheri, Certified Networking Engineer replied 4 months ago

Hi, I haven't heard back from you. I just wanted to follow up to see if everything is resolved and whether you still need assistance. Please reply and let me know.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert