Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I want to use my e1000 as an access point. i plugged it into…

Customer Question
Hello. i want...

Hello. i want to use my e1000 as an access point. i plugged it into my network and people can connect to it but they can't get on the internet. thoughts?

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your Wi-Fi password?

Not since i set it up

Technician's Assistant: Have you connected to this Wi-Fi network from a laptop or desktop (either Mac or PC) in the past?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

No thanks

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Networking
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/4/2018
Network Technician: Chris L., Support Specialist replied 6 months ago
Chris L., Support Specialist

Hello my name is ***** ***** certified computer and networking professional with over 10 years experience. I will be happy to help you. If they can connect to the router but not get online the problem usually exists between router and modem.

Many modems don't realize when you plug in a new device so try the following. Unplug the power to both the modem and router. Next plug in the modem and give it a good 5 minutes to completely boot, next plug in the power to the router again giving 5 minutes to boot. After that try it out and see if you can get online.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating for providing you a quick answer! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

hey chris. i think you need some background on the network first. don't you want to know how i have the router connected to the network? the wired network all works fine. all can access internal resources and get to the internet. the issue is when they connect to the e1000 wireless network. they can still all access internal resources but can no longer get to the internet.
no thanks to remote assistance

I see thanks for the info, sorry I assumed you were just swapping it out.

still there?
Network Technician: Syseng, Computer Systems Engineer replied 6 months ago
Syseng
Syseng, Computer Systems Engineer

My name is David.

If you have a Windows computer that is connected to the wireless network, click the Windows Start button then type

cmd

in the Search box and right click on the command terminal icon and click Run as Administrator. Then in the command terminal type

ipconfig /all

and press Enter and let me know the IP address, subnet mask and gateway and DNS IP addresses assigned to the wireless network adapter of the computer.

Hey David. The devices are getting to the internet now. They are pulling the correct IP addresses. I can't test from the E1000 interface -- it says the network is unavailable when I ping 8.8.8.8 doing the test but it will ping internal resources. Anyway, things are working so we can close this ticket.

Ok, glad its working!

If you should need further assistance just let me know!