Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I have a GE Wi-Fi connect device that doesn't show up on my…

Customer Question
I have a GE Wi-Fi...
I have a GE Wi-Fi connect device that doesn't show up on my router as a network to join when I go through the steps of installing it. It used to work, and I tried changing it to run on a guest network for security purposes. Then, I couldn't get it to work, and took it off the guest network. Now, I can't see it when it's time to join it to my home network.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Networking
1/3/2018
Network Technician: Josh, Helpdesk replied 7 months ago
Josh, Helpdesk

Hello:

Happy New Year!

I'm so very sorry it took so long for someone to offer assistance to you. My name is ***** ***** I've just come online and saw your question waiting. Before we start, can you please confirm if you still need assistance with your question? Thank you!

Please note: Due to the Holidays, it could take a little bit longer for a response but I will respond back as soon as possible!

I’m going to try one more thing on my own, and I’ll let you know if it is successful.

Okay, thank you.

My Apple iPhone and iPad only seem to be able to pick up my home router, whereas my laptop can see many networks nearby. I wonder if the cold weather is causing this? It could be that the GE connect device just doesn't show up. I tried powering the refrigerator on and off, but I don't know if there's a reboot function.
My Apple iPhone and iPad only seem to be able to pick up my home router, whereas my laptop can see many networks nearby. I wonder if the cold weather is causing this? It could be that the GE connect device just doesn't show up. I tried powering the refrigerator on and off, but I don't know if there's a reboot function. Not sure I want to pay $40 for a remote secure fix since the wi-fi device isn't really necessary and I'm not sure how that would even be accomplished.

I am not sure of the issue -- Do you need the iPhone and iPad to connect to another network than your own?

The GE appliance app is for the iPhone, and a GE network momentarily appears on the iPhone to enable me to connect it to my home router, but that’s not happening.
Did you send me more information or questions?

Are you using the apps from the App store?

Which model refrigerator do you have?

PFE28RSHGSS
I watched a YouTube video on how to install the device, and mine asks for the password, but not the network name, and it doesn’t ask for capturing this information with the phone’s camera. It does broadcast a signal when I plug it in, but the network name doesn’t appear on my phone to connect to as it should.

Which device asks for a password?

The iPhone. The password ***** ***** on the back of the wi-fi connect device.
I’ve contacted Amazon to see if I can get a refund on the wi-fi connect device.

OK let me know how that goes

Amazon would not take the device back, so I'm stuck again.

Amazon takes back almost everything.

Did you speak with a supervisor over the phone?

It was purchased through Amazon but supplied to them by abt, who said I had owned the device beyond the return period.
I did not speak with anyone at Amazon.

Did you speak to Amazon over the phone?

No. Through my order history on their website.

Try speaking to them over the phone instead.