Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

Running windows 10 on my desktop and my notebook. Desktop…

Customer Question
Running windows 10 on...

Running windows 10 on my desktop and my notebook. Desktop connects to internet via Ethernet to cable modem. notebook is wireless. tried to set up homegroup to share files between them. Desktop says have been invited to Homegroup but when I enter password ***** notebook it says homegroup not allowed. Notebook allows but still cannot connect desktop to it.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your Wi-Fi password?

Only at install

Technician's Assistant: Have you connected to this Wi-Fi network from a laptop or desktop (either Mac or PC) in the past?

Laptop, yes. Desktop, I'd say no since I didn't need it to get to internet. Is that the issue?

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

Think that's all

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Networking
12/31/2017
Network Technician: Jason Jones, Network Technician replied 4 months ago
Jason Jones, Network Technician

I look forward to helping you today.

A few things can cause this problem. Along with the error that you're given, are you told why it will now allow the homegroup to be created?

I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.
Thank you,
Jason

It will not allow me to create homegroup on the desktop. Just says I've been invited to join one. Notebook allowed me to create one but password *****'t work on desktop. Disconnected from Home group on notebook.

Thank you for the update. May I connect with you remotely to the Desktop to troubleshoot the issue directly? When the remote session begins, we will be able to communicate back and forth via a chat window that will appear on your computer screen.

Would rather not. Thanks anyway. Have an IT ecpert in the neighbors. Just didn't want to bother him. Thanks.

Okay, check your network connection. You must set the type as "Private" and not as Public for this to work. Do that, please and try again. Did that work?

It is set to private. Nothing has changed. From my desktop it still says I'm invited to join a homegroup. When I enter the password ***** says windows cant set up a homegroup on this computer.

It just says that it can't setup a homegroup on the computer? It doesn't indicate why it cannot do so?

Right and troubleshooter can find nothing wrong with network or home group

I understand that you don't want to allow me to remotely connect so that I can further troubleshoot and fix the problem. Is that still the case?

Sorry, yes. Won't waste more of your time. Thank you.

No worries. You are not wasting my time. I am here 12 hours, 7 days a week at a minimum.

Do you wish to continue later?

No thanks. Appreciate your help.

Oh okay. Do you wish for me to send in a refund request?

No thanks.

I have run out of ideas.

For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.

The next expert will see all that is on this page, so there will be no need to repeat anything.

When another expert picks this up, you will be notified by email.

Thank you for your patience.

- Jason

Network Technician: Josh, Helpdesk replied 4 months ago
Josh, Helpdesk

Hello:

Happy New Year!

I'm so very sorry it took so long for someone to offer assistance to you. My name is ***** ***** I've just come online and saw your question waiting. Before we start, can you please confirm if you still need assistance with your question? Thank you!

Please note: Due to the Holidays, it could take a little bit longer for a response but I will respond back as soon as possible!

Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer