Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I just got a targus tgr-msr35 card reader but it will not…

Customer Question
I just got a...

I just got a targus tgr-msr35 card reader but it will not work on windows 10

Technician's Assistant: Who makes your router?

Asus

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far?

I had a old lexar card reader but finally gave up to old of device so i bought this card reader today

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

I have a corrupted micro sd card i want to salvage it has some inportant info

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Networking
12/30/2017
Network Technician: Cabletech, Helpdesk replied 7 months ago
Cabletech
Cabletech, Helpdesk

Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I would be happy to assist today with your question.

Give me just a moment while I review the information provided.

If this is your first time here, I would like to go over a few things:

• If you see an offer for a phone call or remote support, you are welcome to accept it or you can disregard it. Just click on the X and we can resume the conversation.

• Some issues or questions may not have the solution requested. Some issues or concerns may not be resolvable. I will try to explain this ahead of time if I foresee it is a question I cannot answer.

• Some issues may require additional equipment or hardware before we can continue.

• Make sure to bookmark this page. There should be email alerts in your inbox as well with the link back to this page if you were to step away. If you respond when I am not online such as outside of my normal business hours, I will respond as soon as I can.

• If you are prompted to rate me, you can do so by choosing the appropriate amount of stars in the top right and that is all. It cost you nothing further and helps me receive credit for helping you. By rating me (hopefully 5 stars!), it also helps me stay locked to your question so I can continue to assist you in cases where you may have to walk away for a few hours or days and need to report back the findings.

I look forward to working with you today!

This memory card happens to be the worst one to have. I have a lot of sites one which I will link below that show the reviews for this one to not work. Not only in Windows 10, but in other operating systems as well. It does not appear to have a resolve as it is a horrible design by the company.

https://www.amazon.com/Targus-USB-2-0-Reader-TGR-MSR35/dp/B004XT6ZGW

Read the reviews at the bottom

I am not sure if you were trying to not buy another one but since you have a Micro SD card, you might be able to ask anyone who has added a Micro SD card to their phone for the adapter. Something like the link below. I know I have like 3-4 in my house sitting around. You might even check with a phone shop and see if you can buy a used one that looks like the one below. If you don't have a reader even for a larger SD card, then you might try the link after it.

https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Multi-Kit-Mobility-MBLY4G2-8GB/dp/B004RCSI92/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1514657319&sr=1-6&keywords=memory+card+reader

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Standard-Connector-Smartphones-Function/dp/B075KHZ5XV/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1514657447&sr=1-7&keywords=memory+card+reader

Let me know if I can help anymore. Sometimes you don't get a lot of time to fully explain the issue so I wanted to give you something to review when you come back to the page.

----

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I would be happy to help provide any clarification or further details you may need. If you do not need any further help, just as a reminder before you go, please give me a quick rating at the top right. Hopefully I have earned 5 stars today! This helps me receive credit for helping you today. It also keeps me locked to your question if you want to follow up with me again. Have a great rest of your day!

well my galaxy 7 had this card in it when i bought it 13 months ago and all of a sudden after having alot of pictures on it it said it is corrrupted. it is a 16 gig card. so i bought a 120 gig card and tested it in the card reader in micro slot and the adapter it worked fine. my question is can the 16 gig card data be salvaged like some say with chkdsk windows feature or is it a lost card with lost data?

Thank you for clarifying. I'm sorry about the other answer as it wouldn't pertain to this.

when i put this card into either slot the power light blinks whereas it didn't with my new card

You can ignore this little paragraph but just a quick personal story. I had an SD card with my proposal video that I did when I proposed to my wife. I also had it on a hard drive. The hard drive was wiped clean because I get clean frenzy on my hard drives when it looks too cluttered. I had also deleted the video on the SD card because ... it was on the hard drive. I regret that because I didn't have any other backup. I tried to use recovery software to no avail. Basically, those SD cards have limited abilities to recover lost data.

I am going to provide a possible solution on the next one if you skipped over this little story.

It does sound like it's not going to read on this device. It could very well be corrupted. You can worst case try another one because you have photos that you'd like to recover so anything you can try is worth it. Without it being read even as a blank card, you won't be able to run this software. So you will need to try another adapter. If that adapter doesn't pick it up as a blank card (do not allow it to format it and do not add anything to it because it writes out the data), then this next step won't work.

There is free software to try. https://www.iobit.com/en/iobitundelete.php

well when it said on my phone that the card was corrupt i just took out and put in a new card i didn't do anything to delete or format. the card reader just doesn't like the card

That was my worry. If any device won't read it, you won't be able to access it. If the photos are very important, there are companies out there they can try to recover it for you if you are wanting to go that route.

thanks for the info so i guess this service couldn't help me and not worth the 36 dollars?

Well, we weren't able to resolve getting you access to those photos but it was due to a technical hardware issue preventing us. I wish I could because if there was a way in your case, I could recover my files. But none the less, I'd really like to earn a 5 star rating from you today so is there any other issue we could work on to make it worth your question cost today?

no I thought you had knowledge to accessing this. YOu didn't give me anything i already knew but to get nothing for the tech fee is a ripoff.

I don't have a problem sending this over to request for your money back. Due to a hardware limitation, there honestly isn't much we can do which I think you already knew. This site isn't a scam and I'll send this over to get your money. If you took your question into a local IT person, they would charge you a diagnosis fee to tell you the same thing. But we're a 100% satisfied site so give me just a moment to send this question over to them. Let me know when you read this and then you won't need to respond to this question any further. You'll receive an email about the refund, okay?