Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I just installed a AC2600 Wi-Fi router (DIR-882) on my

Customer Question
I just installed a...

I just installed a AC2600 Wi-Fi router (DIR-882) on my domain. I can log on to the router and I can access the internet and my servers. However, I also connect to a AS/400 mainframe in the U.S. and even though I have a persistent route to there on the computer it is failing to connect. The path is through a Firebox.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your Wi-Fi password?

When I installed the wi-fi router. I can log on to it fine.

Technician's Assistant: Have you connected to this Wi-Fi network from a laptop or desktop (either Mac or PC) in the past?

With an old Wi-Fi router, yes. No problem. And I am not having a problem connecting to the new network. Like I said, I can go on the internet and see my server mapped drives. The only thing I can't do is connect to the mainframe in the U.S. Always have been able to in the past.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

Not really.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Networking
The connection to the AS/400 in the U.S. is through a Bell T1 dedicated connection.
This seems to be taking a while. What's going on?
What nonsense. Thanks for nothing. What a scam. Some support.
12/28/2017
Network Technician: Syseng, Computer Systems Engineer replied 6 months ago
Syseng
Syseng, Computer Systems Engineer

My name is***** apologies for the delay.

If you still need assistance, please let me know the name of the operating system on the computer you use to connect to the AS/400?

Also, you are connecting to the AS/400 through a VPN correct?

That particular laptop is Windows 7. If i plug directly to the network with an Ethernet cable it connects fine to the AS/400. But if I connect to the Dlink Wi-fi router it doesn't connect.
We can work on this tomorrow.
I need Dlink expert

Yes, I can work on this tomorrow with you. What time works best for you? In what time zone are you?

Also, what is the DLink router model number?

EST
The model number is ***** above.
In the original question

Ok, I see the model number - thanks.

What time works best for you? I am in the PDT time zone so it's 3:12PM here right now.

I am 3 hours ahead of you. So lets say 10 am your time which is 1 pm my time.

Yes, I will be available - 10AM PDT, 1PM EST.

I am ready for some advice
I have purchased a D-Link AC2600 (DIR-882) router to provide wireless access to the domain. I am able to log on to the domain via the router and can access my servers through Windows explorer. I can also access the internet through our default internet router. I also have to access an AS400 mainframe in the states. When the computer is logged in to the network through a normal Ethernet cable, the computer has no problem with the AS400 access since it has a persistent route added. However when I connect to the network via the D-Link Wi-Fi router the computer can no longer access the AS400 even though it still has the persistent route. That route is 172.16.8.0 mask 255.255.252.0 path 172.16.20.39. It is accessing an IP address 172.16.8.0 in the U.S. I tried to add the route to the router but it doesn't see 172.16.8.0 as a valid IP address. I can ping 172.16.20.39 through the D-Link.
Actually the final IP address for the AS400 is 172.16.8.40.

My apologies for the delay.

Are you available now to troubleshoot the issue?

Based upon what you have described, it sounds like you are connecting to the AS/400 over a WAN connection that is always connected. It would be optimal if you were using a wireless router that supports bridge mode, however the DIR-882 does not support this feature. That being the case, make sure the IP address range of the D-Link DHCP is not in the 172.16.20.x, 172.16.8.x or even in the 172.16.x.x ranges as any of those can result in the router not knowing how to forward traffic to networks in those ranges. If the D-Link is using a 172.16.x.x DHCP IP address scope, change it to a 10.x.x.x/24 or 192.168.0.x/24 range, then restart your computer, connect to the D-Link wireless and try again to connect to the AS/400.

Please let me know the result.

Its ok. I got the problem solved with a D-Link Support tech. And, so you know, we had to configure the router with an available ip address (172.16.20.5) on our network using our subnet mask (255.255.252.0). In other words, we had to dumb it down and just make it an access point as opposed to it giving itself an ip address and subnet mask. Thanks for your effort.

Thanks for letting me know and glad the issue is resolved.

Best regards,

David.