Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

No internet. Ethernet not working. This is how I usually…

Customer Question
No internet Technician's Assistant:...

No internet

Technician's Assistant: Are you able to connect using an ethernet cable?

Ethernet not working. This is how I usually connect

Technician's Assistant: Which lights are colored and/or blinking on your router?

All lights green except internet

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Networking
My router is Netopia 2247NWG-T
12/28/2017
Network Technician: Russell H., Internet and LAN replied 3 months ago
Russell H., Internet and LAN

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Try unplugging the router from the power.

Leave it that way for 10 minutes or longer. (Meanwhile, restart your computer.)

Plug the router in to the power after 10 minutes or longer.

Wait 2 minutes after that, then try to connect your computer to internet. Does that get it working?

Just tried 2 minutes, and not working. Is it imperative to do 10 minutes??

It might help. If there is a modem box also, unplug it from power at the same time - but, plug the modem in at 8 minutes, the router in 2+ minutes after plugging in the modem.

That may be what you need to get internet running again.

I'm confused. Why does the price thing keep popping up?

Thank you - you may ignore the solicitation for additional services (and with them, charges). I did not send that message to you, the website system did. (And I have no control over such messages.)

I now unplugged router from wall for 10 minutes and turned off my computer. Router lights are solid green for power, Ethernet, wireless, dsl. Solid red for internet. When my computer restarted and I opened up safari it asks me to log into netopia 2000 on 192.168.1.1.80. Name and password.
Are you still there?

I'm still here...

OK... when you entered your user name and password ***** login to the Netopia DSL internet service, what happened?

I entered in admin admin and got to netopia page

Good so far. But, now that you are connected to the Netopia, can you just open any common web page? e.g. www.google.com ?

No

What happens, what do you see, when your enter

www.google.com

as the address, in the ADDRESS Bar at the top, and try to bring up that web page?

Unable to connect

Does any error code # accompany that message?

No. Just unable to connect to internet

I see. This is a DSL internet problem - have you called your DSL service about it? at this point, I think that would be advisable, since you have done a reset, a restart, and so forth (and made sure the status of the lights on the router are all correct.)

Spent 3 hours with them. They said I had to call netopia and set it. I'm frustrated

I don't think Netopia is the answer.

1. Now, have you tried connecting with an Ethernet cable? and has that failed?

2. Then, what anti-virus is on your computer, please?

3. And, what firewall is on the computer, please?

(Security Status will tell you, on a Windows PC.)

4. And, how long ago did the internet last work?

I'm a mac. Was on line this morning until 10am.
I use norton and it ran this am.
Not sure about firewall.

Given that you have DSL and an Apple computer, I'm not sure how to advise you at this point... but if you connected with an Ethernet cable, was it plugged into one of the numbered ports on the Netopia router? (NOT into the 'internet' port... that would be the wrong port...)

And if so, have you tried a different Ethernet cable?

Use Ethernet cable all the time. Was working this am. Did not change any cables.

If it were a Windows computer, I'd suggest reverting the system back to this morning or before... but as it is, do you see the indicator light for the port, that your Ethernet cable is plugged into on the router, as lit up or blinking, at all?

Lit up green

Then I regret that I have nothing further to suggest. Some element of the system has failed, but some of it being Apple brand, I have to Opt Out, opening this case to other Experts in this category. If and when another Expert picks up this case, you ought to receive a notification email. Thank you for your patience with the process thus far.

Network Technician: Syseng, Computer Systems Engineer replied 3 months ago
Syseng
Syseng, Computer Systems Engineer

My name is David.

Is the Internet light on the Netopia router still red?

Do you still need assistance?

Please cancel this request for help. I've spent way too much time on it and haven't received help in getting my internet back. I will hire somebody to fix this issue for me.

Ok, thanks.

Best regards,

David.

Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer