Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

My lap top will not connect to my new netgear router had…

Customer Question
My lap top will...

My lap top will not connect to my new netgear router had century link out they everything on their end is ok but no luck

Technician's Assistant: Are you able to connect using an ethernet cable?

Plugged in the cables like the old router

Technician's Assistant: Which lights are colored and/or blinking on your router?

All light are on no blinking

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

Maybe I need a phone no. to have someone walk me thru the steps I tried the book

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Networking
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/28/2017
Network Technician: Byron, PC Support Tech replied 6 months ago
Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.

Do you have other devices that are successfully connected to your Wi-Fi?

at this time I am back on the old router everything is working our netgear dose not respond
no just want to know how to make your device work
if I reconnect the netgear you will not be able to remote so maybe I missed something in your instruction book

Thank you. Disconnect power from your modem and the new router.

Connect the network cable from the modem to the internet port on the router.

The port to use is the one that is a different color than the other 4 ports on the router.

Plug power in to the modem only and wait until all it's lights indicate it is fully up.

Then power on the router and allow it to start up.

Netgear's newer routers come with a label on them that tells you information

such as the name of the wireless network (SSID) and wi-fi password.

Do you have such a label on your router?

after I plug it in I still have to push the power button in the back, so far all the lights come on

If the router has a separate power switch that needs to be on, yes

What model do you have?

D6400

Thanks. That's DSL service that you have with Century Link, correct?

Or do you have Cable service?

it's century link had them out he was unfamiliar with your unit but as I am able to talk to you the is no prob with in line in

What is the status of the lights on the front of the router?

if I plug it in you and I are done when I plug it all lights go on

If all those lights come on like they are in the attachment you should be good to go.

The middle light indicates a connection to the internet. Once you have that you will be able to reply to me.