Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

Trying to connect a new Xbox one system to the home

Customer Question
Hi...trying to connect a...

Hi...trying to connect a new Xbox one system to the home Wi-Fi...doesn't take password...also trying guest network but don't know password.

Technician's Assistant: Are you able to connect using an ethernet cable?

Unfortunately, it didn't come with one.

Technician's Assistant: Which lights are colored and/or blinking on your router?

All 3 are yellow...internet & data blinking.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Networking
12/27/2017
Network Technician: Karthik, System Administrator replied 6 months ago
Karthik
Karthik, System Administrator

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Before we proceed further, I would like to ask you few question about this problem. Could you please tell whether do you have any other device like computer or smartphone is connected to the WiFi network?

both phone & laptop are.

Is it a Windows Laptop? The reason why I am asking is we can try to retrieve the wifi password ***** your Windows computer.

You can try this following steps in the windows computer for retrieving the wifi password,

1. Press and hold “Windows Key + R” and the “Run” window will open.

2. In the Run box, write ncpa.cpl and press Enter or OK and the Network Connection window will open.

3. Check Wifi adapter or Wireless network connection. Do a right click on the wifi adapter

4. Click on Status

5. Click on wireless properties. You will be seeing 2 tab, Connection and Security.

6. Click on the Security tab

7. Uncheck the box which say show password, you will able to see the wifi password

8. Use that password ***** connect your Xbox to the wifi network.

If that doesn't work or if any other steps is unclear please let me know, So that we can try some other alternate solution. Thank you