Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I received a fire tv stick for Christmas and it needs my…

Customer Question
I received a fire...

I received a fire tv stick for Christmas and it needs my wifi password ***** I do not remember it?

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your Wi-Fi password?

I've only had it for about 3 months and has never been changed

Technician's Assistant: Have you connected to this Wi-Fi network from a laptop or desktop (either Mac or PC) in the past?

No

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

Not at this time

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Networking
My wifi is connected to my desktop
12/25/2017
Network Technician: Russell H., Internet and LAN replied 6 months ago
Russell H., Internet and LAN

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Is your Desktop a PC, or an Apple computer, please? you can get the WiFi password ***** either of the two, but the method is very different for each one.

And if a PC, what Windows has it on it (Windows XP, 7, Vista, 8.1, or 10) ?

Windows 10

Good. Go to the Windows 10 PC, and on it, go to the 'five-bars' at the lower right, right-click on that icon-let,

and then choose 'Open Network and Sharing Center'.

Then click on the choice for 'Change Adapter Settings'.

Then right-click on 'WiFi Adapter' (or similar title for the WiFi) and choose,

Status

and then on that sheet, click on 'Wireless Properties'

and in that sheet, click on the Security tab at the top,

then click on the checkbox called 'Reveal characters'.

That shows your WiFi password. (Though, if your wireless connection says 'Open' or 'No encryption', then there will be no such checkbox, and no WiFi password ***** all - you will enter nothing, not even a space, for your WiFi password. I don't expect this is the case, though.)

Afterward, you may un-check that checkbox, and click on Cancel until those sheets close again, to clean up the screen after noting down your WiFi password ***** entering it on another device.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated! Thank you.

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Have a Good Christmas Day, please.