Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I cannot get my wifi to connect to my galexy s 3. My house…

Customer Question
Hi. I cannot...

Hi. I cannot get my wifi to connect to my galexy s 3

Technician's Assistant: Is there a particular streaming service you're trying to connect to (e.g. Netflix or YouTube)?

No. My house wifi router is from Shaw. It shows my service but will not let me select it to connectto.

Technician's Assistant: How is your internet connection? Have you tried unplugging your modem and router, then plugging them back in?

It's great. It's just this phone. Every other device s connected and running great

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

I dont think so

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Networking
12/24/2017
Network Technician: Russell H., Internet and LAN replied 6 months ago
Russell H., Internet and LAN

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Try going into Settings on the phone, and then into Network Settings, then turn OFF the WiFi there.

Also turn OFF the fast internet, 2G/3G/4G/5G or whatever you have there for cellular type service.

Then shut the phone down, not just suspended, but really shut off.

Then wait 20+ minutes, at least, to let it cool off.

Then, turn the phone On, let it start up, then go to Settings, Network Settings, turn just the WiFi On there. Try to connect then, as usual.

Let me know how that goes, and what happens when you try to connect again after all that - and if the process fails at any time, stop there and let me know at what step you are and what happened, and I will advise you further.

Ok. I'll do that now and get back to you in approximately 30 minutes.

All right... let me know then.

Hello
we followed you instructions and it still will not allow a connection.
The wifi network shows up full strength
It says the correct SSID and under that it say "Unknown security type"
When it's selected nothing happens
From what I can tell the phone does not recognize the SSID BECAUSE OF the unknown security type.
All ther networks that just say "Secured" will open asking for a password.

What security type (e.g. WEP, WPA, WPA-PSK, etc.) is on the WiFi network?

(You can tell from a computer with a Windows OS and a wireless connection.)

I don't know where to find that info
It's not on my router and I can't find it anywhere in my Internet on my desktop.

Is your Desktop a Windows PC? if so, let me know what Windows version (XP, 7, Vista, 8.1, 10 ?) is on it, and I will give you detailed instructions on how to access that information about your WiFi network.

I'm using windows 10

OK, just a moment....

Right-click the network or WiFi icon on the lower right collection of small icons

Select the Open Network and Sharing Center

then there, select 'Change Adapter Settings' at the left,

then, right-click on the WiFi Adapter shown there, and choose

Status

then click on Wireless Propertes

and go to the Security tab there, then look for the listed

Security type

and Encryption type

and tell me what they are, both of them, please.

WPA2-Personal
AES
I have to go
Can't sit here waiting for you It's been 45 minutes since i sent you the info you wanted. I still have no connection and now I'm upset.

I'm sorry to hear that - in my time-zone it was past 11 p.m.

Have you run any upgrade on your Samsung phone? perhaps its operating system (Android OS) version is too old to handle WPA2-Personal with AES encryption. Updating it might perhaps cure the problem.