Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I was using net-gear but could not get customer support. I…

Customer Question
I was using net-gear...

I was using net-gear but could not get customer support. I am now using spectrum. I had Netflix usage on my tv. After the change I can not get netflix on tv. I've called spectrum, Vizio and Netflix. can not get this issue resolved.

Technician's Assistant: Are you getting any error messages when you try to connect to Netflix?

Yes it sais I have the wrong password but I don't.

Technician's Assistant: How is your internet connection? Have you tried unplugging your modem and router, then plugging them back in?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Spectrum sais I need to get the old (connect number) Idont know the proper name for it. Out of the set up and re type it in. But Visio sais cant do that.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Networking
12/24/2017
Network Technician: Nathan, System Administrator replied 4 months ago
Nathan, System Administrator

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

To start, can you please tell me the model number of your tv?

Do you know the new spectrum wifi network name and the new spectrum wifi password?

Spectrum password TG862GA343D2. Router name TG862GD2. VIZIO model E40-C2 first choice VIZIO model. D55-D2 both smart TVs

Thank you for the info. I don't actually need the password, but you do need to know it,

so what you'll need to do is go into the vizio settings menu, under Wireless,

then you'll choose the new spectrum network name,

the tv will prompt you to enter the new wifi password, which you'll have to type in. It is critical that this be entered exactly, and it is case sensitive so capital letters/lowercase does matter. Put it in exactly as it is indicated on the sticker on the router.

That is exactly what I did with spectrum on the phone and I double checked my entry. I could not get it changed. Like I said they wanted to remove my entry number for nexflix but but Vizio does not give information in Thier booklet plus I called and asked them and they could not help me. It got to the point where each ( Vizio and spectrum) one said call the other one. I was batted back and forth until I gave up. Hoped you could help. The strange thing though was that on Netgear , Netflix worked fine in the TV.

You may be typing the password *****

Look in the System/Reset section of the menu for a Factory Reset (restore defaults) option and choose that,

after it comes back on from the reset, then try the wifi connection again with the spectrum info and let me know how that works.

we did that too. They said I might be typing it in wrong also. I typed many times with both companies. Visio said it was spectrum's problem since it worked with Netgear. I will try again with you but it takes a little longer due to the remotes. Will do it now.
Ok I have no signal now so I have to go turn off my box and computer. See if it helps.

When you see "no signal" on the tv screen, that means it is just on the wrong input or an input where nothing is connected.

That should not affect your ability to access the menu though which must be done with the tv (not cable) remote.

How far is the tv from the router?

Network Technician: Nathan, System Administrator replied 3 months ago

Hello, it appears your question is still open.
Do you need more help with this?
Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

Hi good to see you did not drop me. Thank you. I look up question and answer forinm on Netflix. They said to go to Netflix home page look for setting s or the gear icon. I only now of to way to get to Netflix on my TV. I can not get to a page that has setting on it nor does it show an gear icon. I am supposed to . I am supposed to tap get help than tap reload Netflix. Than try to get it to work again.

That information is for using netflix on a computer, not your tv.

Can you please tell me how far the router is from the tv?
Are you still getting an error on all apps on this tv, or just on netflix?

My router is not in my house it is located at spectrum . I have not tried others apps.
My TV is scanning channel s now. But it does that even and still might say not connecting.
It is done and I tried again to launch Netflix again, but it still said I have no internet connection. But when I check the opionmore details it said that I am connected to the internet. I'm am at a loss. I guess I am going to get rid of spectrum wireless routerand put a router back in my house. It worked before. Thank you sorry you could not fix it.
You have to have a router. It is not possible for it to work without one so if you don’t have one that is the issue.
Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer