Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I have an older dell xps and had to change my wifi password…

Customer Question
I have an older...

I have an older dell xps and had to change my wifi password ***** contain just numbers because it wouldnt allow me to type letters or symbols for the password. now tho, it is giving me an error message reading "CheckSum validation failed for the PIN entered"

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your Wi-Fi password?

Just now.

Technician's Assistant: Have you connected to this Wi-Fi network from a laptop or desktop (either Mac or PC) in the past?

Yes. it is the correct password, i just changed my other devices to make sure and it is all good. Just my older laptop wont accept the password

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

Umm ... the laptop uses windows xp, other than that, i dont think so

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Networking
12/23/2017
Network Technician: Russell H., Internet and LAN replied 4 months ago
Russell H., Internet and LAN

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Windows XP has 'expired' long ago, in 2015 if my memory serves correctly.

This means, it is now full of security holes, and even with an anti-virus, can be attacked over the internet quite easily by several standard methods (I would guess.)

Your XP can still be used - but not over the internet. If used over the internet, problems will result. For instance, your being unable to type letters into your WiFi password, is so unusual it must mean either 'keyboard severely damaged' or more likely "system severely compromised and corrupted by hacking attacks."

Do you have a Windows XP install disc? if so, I would advise you to

1. back up your data from your Windows XP system, onto another device - e.g. a cheap and easy-to-use USB flash drive - then

2. reinstall from the Windows XP install disc, completely re-formatting the hard disk on your computer in the process, to wipe out all traces of hacker attack/corruption/etc.

3. and, not connect Windows XP to the internet again.

I'm sorry to have to say the above, but it is 100% true, by now, over 2 years after Microsoft stopped trying to keep Windows XP going.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.

Russell H., Internet and LAN