Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

How can a person determine if a Lynksis router is working?

Customer Question
How can a person...

Technician's Assistant: Are you able to connect using an ethernet cable?

One computer is connected. Another computer normally accesses the internet through the connected computer. The unconnected computer can can't access the interne using Ethernet

Technician's Assistant: Which lights are colored and/or blinking on your router?

2,4, internet are blinking. The other two are on.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't think so .

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Networking
12/18/2017
Network Technician: Cabletech, Helpdesk replied 2 months ago
Cabletech
Cabletech, Helpdesk

Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I would be happy to assist today with your question.

Give me just a moment while I review the information provided.

Before we begin, I would like to explain how the site works if this is your first visit here. The page you are viewing offers ads for things like secure desktop connection and a phone call. These are not asked by me and I will explain in our conversation if doing one of those things would help make troubleshooting easier. If you request to do either one, I would be happy to do it with you regardless.

If you are prompted during our conversation to rate me, it is as simple as choosing between 5 stars at the top right corner about my service today. Hopefully, I will earn 5 stars today. It is the only way I receive credit for helping you today.

Some things we work on may not easily be resolved with the given resources (such as needing additional media or hardware issues that require replacement). Please understand I will try my hardest to resolve the issue or answer any questions but some things are out of my control.

Finally, make sure to bookmark this page so you can easily come back to this page. If we are working on this issue and you need to step away, you can always leave me a message on this question. I will respond as soon as I can if I am not online. I check periodically throughout the day if not during my normal business hours.

Hello! I would be happy to help you today. Could you tell me the Linksys Model number you currently are using?

BEFSR41
I will say this. If you are getting internet, then the internet and router aren't to blame unless you configured the router that way. You'd have to setup advanced settings that could make it not work but if you don't know what I mean, you're okay in that regard.
the computer that's not working connects through the computer that works? I was a bit unclear. Do you mind explaining it to me?
I am not sure either. There is a modem connected to the telephone line. This modem is supplied by the telephone company and calls itself a router as well. The modem is connected to the Linksys router. The Linksys router allows us to have in an office intranet. I can print to two printers through the office intranet. I really don't think the other computer works through the computer that works.In the past when the other computer could not access the internet, we unplugged the Lynksis router for a few seconds. After plugged it back in, the other computer was able to access the intetnet. Today unplugging and replugging the internet does not get the other computer on line.
Today unplugging and replugging the Linksys router does not get the other computer online
What's confusing to me is that one computer connects through another computer to get online. That's not a typical setup unless you have a server or a fancy hookup.Is one a wireless internet and one is a direct connection with Ethernet
After looking at the setup, I don't think one computer connects through the other computer. I think both are connected the Linksys Router. And you are probably right. This computer receives the internet, and can access printers through the Linksys router. The other computer connected to the Linksys router can do neither.
As part of simple troubleshooting, has that computer been rebooted since it couldn't connect? Sometimes updates can throw it offline
Well I checked with the person who uses the other computer. She unplugged the computer line the connects to the router. That other computer works now. So we'll see if it works tomorrow.
Okay! Let me know.
Cabletech
Cabletech
Cabletech, Helpdesk