Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I can't get it connected to my internet. I get an error

Customer Question
I can't get it...

I can't get it connected to my internet. I get an error message of 651.

Technician's Assistant: Are you able to connect using an ethernet cable?

No

Technician's Assistant: Which lights are colored and/or blinking on your router?

Wifi is linking

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

Wifi is blinking and the rest are on.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Networking
12/16/2017
Network Technician: Russell H., Internet and LAN replied 4 months ago
Russell H., Internet and LAN

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That error means either, that your internet service provider has a problem on their line (more or less), and so you should call them and ask - or, that your computer has a problem (esp. if there's only one computer and not any other device that has this error and this problem.)

Now, assuming you have just the one computer, I suggest that you may need to start by rebooting the whole network.

1. Shut down your computer and thus turn it Off.

2. pull the power plugs on the router box, and the modem box to/from your Internet Service provider (if they are not one and the same box. If the same, just pull the power plug on your modem-router.)

3. Wait 10 to 20 minutes or so. Not less than that amount, to let the system reset.

4. at the end of that time, plug in the modem to the power again. Wait 2 minutes. (Note the lights on the modem.)

5. then after that 2 minutes (or longer) plug in the router to the power, also. Wait another 2 minutes.

6. turn On your computer, try to connect again.

If that fails identically, then contacting your Internet Service provider about the problem would be advisable. And also trying this on the computer:

A. reinstalling the network adapter.

B. running a Disk Cleanup and removing all Temporary Internet Files, and all Temporary Files.

C. trying a different web browser program, if you have a choice of them (without internet you cannot download a new one, I realize.)

D. if you only have Internet Explorer (or Edge only) then go to Control Panel

Internet Options

Advanced tab

and click on Reset button there, to reset your browser settings etc.

E. turning OFF your firewall, temporarily only. Try to connect again, if it still fails, re-enable the firewall. (If that allows it to connect, re-enable the firewall anyway, but consider some amount of software repair, anti-virus scans, or even reinstalling the operating system. But before that:)

F. open a Command Prompt, run

SFC /SCANNOW

and allow that to run to its finish.

At each step, try the connection again.

Russell H., Internet and LAN