Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

Home internet issue. Ok Ive always had internet wi-fi using…

Customer Question
Home internet issue. Ok Ive...
Home internet issue. Ok Ive always had internet wi-fi using only ONE router (Lets call this Router #1). Someone told me instead of buying a wi-fi extender, I could use another router (which is 3 years old - Net Gear) - Lets call this Router #2.I'll spell it out. Wi-Fi lines comes into my home Modem. From the modem, I installed a tp-link 5 port 1 Gig easy smart switch. From there, I ran one line (Line #1) to my original Router #1. From the splitter I ran a second line (Line #2) to Router #2, which is placed in my basement. As soon as I turn on Router #2, it knocks my Internet off-line (I had Netflix running in the background so that I could HEAR when I lost my wi-fi signal).To trouble shoot the new line I ran (Line #2) to see IF the cable had a short or some issue, I took one end of Line #2 out of the splitter and plugged it into Router #1 (near where original wi-fi comes into my home. Then I unplugged Line #2 from Router #2 and plugged it directly into a computer in my basement. Everything worked fine. Line #2 is working fine.SO, what steps can you provide to me to fix this issue? I would like to have TWO routers coming out of the splitter so that I get a better internet signal in all areas of my home.Thank yuou for the help. :O)
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Networking
12/16/2017
Network Technician: Steve, Consultant replied 7 months ago
Steve
Steve, Consultant

Hi there, my name is Steve.

I think I know what's going on but I'm a little confused from the way you described it. You said you ran Line #1 from the switch to the original router and Line #2 from the splitter to the new router. When you say "splitter," I'm assuming you mean cable, and if you did that, yes, you would probably knock out your connection.

Don't run the line to the second router from the splitter. Instead, run a line from a LAN port on the original router to a LAN port on the second router using an Ethernet cable.

You didn't mention what brand the original router is. If they were both Netgear, depending on how old, they might recognize what you're trying to do when you power them on and adjust themselves accordingly. If not, you're going to have to change a few settings (probably in the advanced section) on the new router for it to work properly.

1. You won't have any WAN settings for the second router because it's not connected directly to the Internet. It's connected through the original router. Choose None or something similar.
  2. You need to find out the IP address of the original router. For example, let's assume it's 192.168.1.1. In the setup for the second router, say you want to enter a static or fixed IP address for the LAN, and put in:
  • address: 192.168.1.2
  • netmask: 255.255.255.0
  • gateway 192.168.1.1
  • dns1: 192.168.1.1
  • dns2: 8.8.4.4
  1. Look for an advanced option that says Use this as an Access Point or something similar. Choose that option if you have it. If you don't, you should turn the firewall off for the new router. If there's an option that says NAT, turn that off.

If this solves your problem, please accept my answer and rate me 5. I don't get paid anything for helping you unless you accept the answer. If not, please chat me back and I'll get you the information you need. Thanks!