Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

My computer says it have no internet access i says its

Customer Question
My computer says it...

My computer says it have no internet access i says its connected

Technician's Assistant: What exactly are you having trouble accessing?

A network connection

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer? And the Operating System (OS)?

Its an msi motherboard and it runs on windows 10

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your computer? What have you tried so far?

Its been like this for a day

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

That its an ethernet connection

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Networking
12/13/2017
Network Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 5 months ago
Suhasini Velu

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Before we proceed with any troubleshooting,please once unplug your router from the wall outlet wait for 2 minutes and plug it back in.
Let me know when this is done.

i just plugged it back in
Network Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 5 months ago

And how is your computer connected to the router is it through Ethernet cable or through WiFi?

ethernet cable
i dont have a wifi adapter
Network Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 5 months ago

Okay, what is the brand and the model number of your router?

Hitron
CODA 4582U
Network Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 5 months ago

Do you have a separate modem with you or is this acting as modem+router

i believe this is my modem/ router
Network Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 5 months ago

Great! let us check the ip address you are getting.

Select the Start button , start typing View network connections, and then select it in the list.

1. Select Ethernet and check what does it say below it like unidentified network or network cable unplugged
  2. If no such options are there, make a right click on ethernet and select status.
  3. Select Details.

Let me know when you are there.
IPv4 Connectivity No network access
IPv6 Connectivity No network accessUnder unidentified network it says
Public network
Network Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 5 months ago

Click on details and then let me know the following

1.DHCP enabled-YES or NO

2.Do you see ipv4 address if yes please mention it if not check if you are able to see something as Auto configuration ipv4 address.

DCHP Enabled - yes
Autoconfig IPv4 - 169.254.163.208Thats a weird number for the ip address
Network Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 5 months ago

Yes, that is a ip address assigned by your computer when you don't have internet.

May I know who is your internet provider?

rogers
Network Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 5 months ago

Thank you, ***** ***** see what we can do here.

Thankyou so much
Network Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 5 months ago

You have two cases here, either the internet connection in your area might be down.

Or the router you have isn't receiving internet.

So the best solution I could offer is kindly call rogers and say you have such a situation here.

And most likely they will reset the signal from there side so that the internet connection would start to get through your router again.

iv already called they said they dont know what the problem could be, the ethernet cable works in my laptop and the wireless works on my laptop its just the desktop haveing issues
hello
Network Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 5 months ago

Let me know when it's done.

finished it
Network Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 5 months ago

Now after restarting are you able to access the internet?

it booted me in safe mode
and no i still cant
it just constantly says identifying
Network Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 5 months ago

I think the adapter might be a faulty one then.

Let me check on this.

Please wait.

Network Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 5 months ago
  1. In the search box on the taskbar, type Device Manager, and then select Device Manager from the list of results.
  2. In Device Manager, select Network adapters > the network adapter name.
  3. Press and hold (or right-click) the network adapter, and then select Uninstall device >
  4. Please make a right click on it and select check for hardware changes and hit ok.

ok i have done that
Network Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 5 months ago

The ethernet adapter should've reinstalled itself.

Now please check if you are able to access internet?

it reinstalled and no its still stuck on identifiying
Network Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 5 months ago

Let's try one last thing .

Please wait meanwhile I compose the instructions.

Network Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 5 months ago
  • In the search box on the taskbar, type Device Manager, and then select Device Manager from the list of results.
  • Expand Network adapters’ entry in Device Manager window, right click the network card that you want to change speed/duplex setting and click Properties.
  • Go to Advanced tab of network card’s properties window, here you can locate the entry to check or change the speed/duplex setting, normally it can be Speed & Duplex, Link Speed & Duplex, Link Speed/Duplex Mode, etc. You can proceed to change the setting to Auto or other specific speed/duplex mode (10Mbps full duplex, 100Mbps half duplex, 1000Mbps half duplex, etc). Finally click OK and close all windows.
i went through all the options and hit okay
its still identifying
also when im under network adapters there is a WAN miniport for IPv6 and WAN miniport IP but no WAN miniport IPv4, could that be the issue?
Network Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 5 months ago

Am so sorry to tell you despite our efforts it seems the ethernet adapter seems to be faulty.

We can try to update drivers in this computer but we need to have internet for that.

So what I could recommend you is to go for a WiFi adapter which is available for like $13 from amazon.

Where you can install this on your desktop and get internet over the WiFi.

Network Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 5 months ago

If you wish I could recommend you with some WiFi adapters which would be compatible for your operating system.

should i get a new motherboard or is that not the issue
Network Technician: Suhasini Velu,
 replied 5 months ago

That would cost you more, I could suggest you to get a new WiFi adapter instead and it is also efficient and cheap.

Suhasini Velu
Suhasini Velu
Suhasini Velu