Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I'm needing my DirecTV to access TVApps, download programs,

Customer Question
Greetings, I'm needing my...

Greetings, I'm needing my DirecTV to access TVApps, download programs, and Rewind programs - all of which require an internet connection

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your Wi-Fi password?

Years ago

Technician's Assistant: Have you connected to this Wi-Fi network from a laptop or desktop (either Mac or PC) in the past?

Yes

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Networking
My DirecTV is providing mixed information. 1) It indicates that it is indeed connected to the internet. 2) However, the features that require an internet are indicating that I don't have internet connectivity: TVAPPs,downloading programs, Rewinding shows, certain channels, etc. Also, I have attempted to trouble-shoot this by opening ports on my router's firewall, but to no avail.
12/14/2017
Network Technician: Richard, Network Specialist replied 7 months ago
Richard, Network Specialist

Thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Has it worked for you before and stopped working?

Or it has never worked for you yet?

Please let me know

it worked 2 weeks ago, when Directv was initially installed. Then, I noticed that it stopped working.

Thank you

Can you please remove the power to the TV (so unplug it from the power socket). as well as the Direct TV box

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the Direct TV box and TV, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

I performed these steps, and waited 10 minutes. However, the problem was recreated.

Thanks

What is the make and model of your wifi router?

Pace AT&T Uverse DSL Modem (Model: 3801HGV) Broadband Gateway

Thanks

On the back of it is a reset button.

Using a paperclip, hold this in for 5 seconds then release.

Wait 5 minutes, restart Direct TV and tell me if it then works please

I performed the steps, waited 5 minutes, restarted DirecTV, and the problem was recreated.

Ok, open the door where the receiver card goes in and tell me if you see the reset button there please

I see it. That's the button I pressed to restart DirecTV

Yes, hold it in for 5 seconds then release to reset it.

Then tell me how it functions please

I performed the steps, and the problem was recreated.

Thanks

It is the internal network adapter that has faulted, this now confirms it.

A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out by trying to reinstall it.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the unit to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Just to confirm my understanding, the internal network adapter on the DirecTV receiver (Genie HR44/200) has faulted, and as a result, the receiver needs to be replaced. Is this correct?

yes that is correct