Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I am installing a WIFI system in my computer. I have a

Customer Question
I am installing a...

I am installing a WIFI system in my computer. I have a netgear modem as well as a router. I am asked to enter a security key and I don't have one. Where do I get a key to enter?

Technician's Assistant: What's the model of your NETGEAR router?

Model R6700-v2

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your NETGEAR router?

I have entered the driver for the WIFI and clicked on the icon on the bottom of the monitor. I select a modem and then the system automatically makes a selection to connect. Then it asks for a security key.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Networking
12/10/2017
Network Technician: Russell H., Internet and LAN replied 8 months ago
Russell H., Internet and LAN

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
At what point, please, and with just what words exactly, and in full, are you asked for a 'security key' ?

It could be anything... the point to my query is, to try to figure out exactly what key to what, it is asking for. Let me know, and I will advise you as to where to obtain that security key.

After selecting one of the list of net items for the WIFI, I make the selection and then it goes through an automatic connection. At that time, I am asked to enter a security key to complete the connection.

That would be the WiFi password ***** the WiFi station or SSID or router box, that you selected a bit earlier.

Do you know what router box you selected? is it your own? if so, how recently was it (the box) put in place?