Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I cant connect my wifi extender to my router. Not sure how…

Customer Question
I cant connect my...

I cant connect my wifi extender to my router

Technician's Assistant: Are you able to connect using an ethernet cable?

Not sure how to do that i have a ethernet cable handy

Technician's Assistant: Which lights are colored and/or blinking on your router?

Power wps

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

Just that

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Networking
12/9/2017
Network Technician: Russell H., Internet and LAN replied 4 months ago
Russell H., Internet and LAN

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Remember that, in configuring a range extender, one has to set it to the same SSID as the WiFi router one is trying to extend.
And also, the encryption code must be the exact same type (not just WPA, for instance, but if the main router is WPA-PSK, then the extender must be WPA-PSK too. This requirement may even extend to revision level, so if a router is very new and an extender is much older, it may not work.

Another point: range extenders must actually be within range of the main router. So check on that also, by trying to access the main router (after turning Off the range extender altogether, and unplugging it) from that same position with a wireless-equipped laptop, and see if it has a reasonably strong signal, of at least two bars I would recommend (though only one green bar *might* work reliably.)

Let me know how it goes, and what you find out, please. Thanks.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.

Russell H., Internet and LAN