Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

Trying to connect to optimum via wifi and cant find it

Customer Question
Trying to connect to...

Trying to connect to optimum via wifi and cant find it listed as possible wifi, although my other devices connect to optimum wifi here

Technician's Assistant: Are you able to connect using an ethernet cable?

No only wifi

Technician's Assistant: Which lights are colored and/or blinking on your router?

Its not from a router its wireless hotspot

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

I have avg antivirus can that possibly be the issue

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Networking
12/7/2017
Network Technician: Jason Jones, Network Technician replied 4 months ago
Jason Jones, Network Technician

I look forward to helping you today.

May I ask for the brand and model name of your wireless router or your wireless modem?

Once I have the above requested information, I will be able to give you the correct answer.

I look forward to your response,
Jason

its not a router its an optimum hotspot.

Okay, thank you for the update. What is the brand and model name of the hotspot router?

no idea its a public network. i have an optimum account and my other devices connect just fine here...only my laptop doent recognize the network

Thank you for the update. So the laptop doesn't even see the wireless network? Can it see other wireless networks?

it pick up other wireless networks but doesnt even see optimum. i have an antivirus can that affect ths?

The antivirus will not create this problem. I am not familiar with Optimum systems. For this reason, I will opt out of this question and allow another to help you. When another person picks it up, you will be notified by email.

Thank you,

Jason

Network Technician: Syseng, Computer Systems Engineer replied 4 months ago
Syseng
Syseng, Computer Systems Engineer

My name is David.

What is the exact make and model of the Optimum hotspot?

Also, what is the exact make and model of your laptop?

hotspot is public wireless and computer is toshiba windows 7

Ok, thanks.

Next, click the Windows Start button then type

devmgmt.msc

in the Search box and press Enter. In Device Manager click to expand the Network Adapters list then right click on the wireless adapter device and click Uninstall. Once completed, reboot your computer and let Windows automatically find and reinstall the driver. Then after the installation is complete test connecting to the Optimum hotspot WiFi again and let me know the result.

Do you mean the microsoft virtual wifi miniport adapter or the Realtek RTL8188CE wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC
that just uninstalled my adapters and now theyre gone!!!! now it wont recognize any wifi!!!!!
i need a refund this just made things worse!!!
oops sorry youre right it reinstalled....but still no sign of optimum...

Ok, then next click the Start Menu -> Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center. In the Network and Sharing Center window click on "Set up a new connection or network". Next, select 'Manually connect to a wireless network' and click Next.
Then type the exact name of the network in the Network Name field. Then click to select the "Connect even if the network is not Broadcasting" check box, and only enter security information if the network is secured (shouldn't be if it is a public WiFi network). Click to select the "Start this connection automatically" check box. Click Next then cilck Change Connection Settings, and then click OK and check to see if it has connected to the network.

Do you still need assistance?

Syseng
Syseng
Syseng, Computer Systems Engineer