Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

Our internet service is out. I have reset the modem. Don't…

Customer Question
Our internet service is...

Our internet service is out. I have reset the modem.

Technician's Assistant: Who makes your router?

Don't know. It's yours.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far?

Powered the modem off for a minute then back on. Single light comes on then a second flashing light for a bit then it stays off. After a while, all the lights flash on then back off and it cycles again. I'd say you've lost the cable.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Networking
12/6/2017
Network Technician: Russell H., Internet and LAN replied 7 months ago
Russell H., Internet and LAN

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Either the modem is defective, as shown by its apparently restarting before actually making the connection - or else, the internet service co. needs contacting because the modem isn't defective but the service on the line is defective.

Now, if the modem belongs to them, you have done all that you could and all that you should (aside from maybe re-seating all cables to the modem, one by one, firmly, to make sure a cable isn't loose)... and the modem belonging to them would mean they should replace it themselves, and/or take care of the problem on the line, whichever it is.

Having them check their line, anyway, even if the modem is yours, could help. If the modem is yours, and they find nothing, replacing the modem would be the right thing to do. Let me know, if you need more help and advice with any specifics of this case, and I will help and advise you further.