Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I am trying to set up my Linksys extender. IS NOT LINKSYS is…

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to set up my Linksys extender

Technician's Assistant: What's the model of your Linksys router?

IS NOT LINKSYS is a TP LINK sorry caps

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far?

I connected it with cord and before i used to get a page where i could see the set up f the extender not anymore

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

Nop just that my old linksys was not enough thats why i changed it today

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Networking
12/4/2017
Network Technician: Russell H., Internet and LAN replied 7 months ago
Russell H., Internet and LAN

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

First, you probably need to do a factory reset on the range extender, by holding down its reset button for over 30 seconds continuously.

Then, set it up again, remembering the following:

- In configuring a range extender, one has to set it to the same SSID as the WiFi router one is trying to extend.
- also, the encryption code must be the exact same type (not just WPA, for instance, but if the main router is WPA-PSK, then the extender must be WPA-PSK too. This requirement may even extend to revision level, so if a router is very new and an extender is much older, it may not work.

- and: range extenders must actually be within range of the main router. So check on that also, by trying to access the main router (after turning Off the range extender altogether, and unplugging it) from that same position with a wireless-equipped laptop, and see if it has a reasonably strong signal, of at least two bars I would recommend (though only one green bar *might* work reliably.)

Let me know how it goes, and what you find out, please. Thanks.