Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

Reset D-Link dual wireless DIR router and update firmware…

Customer Question
Reset D-Link dual wireless DIR...
Reset D-Link dual wireless DIR router and update firmware
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Networking
12/2/2017
Network Technician: Sudipto, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 7 months ago
Sudipto, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, I'm Sudipto. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP

Can you explain your problem?

I would like to reset the loss password ***** my wireless router. I wanted to consider the pros and cons of avoiding pushing the reset button. I next will consider updating the firmware. The current version is older.
Thank you for the option of telephony. This modality of communication is preferable.
It appears you have gotten too busy with another customer, so I will switch to another expert. Have a good day.
Network Technician: Byron, PC Support Tech replied 7 months ago
Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.

If you hava a Windows or Mac computer connected to the wi-fi (not one connected to the router

with an ethernet cable) the wi-fi password ***** be recovered from such a machine.

Is that your situation?

I have a Windows computer. I currently have it hardwired. It was previously wirelessly connected via Wi-Fi, but it was too slow. I still have the option to increase speed, but again the same scenario exists, loss password.

Thank you. The default IP address for d-link router is 192.168.0.1

On your keyboard, hold down the Windows logo key to the left of the spacebar and press R.

The Run box will open.

In the text area type: http://192.168.0.1 and click OK.

A browser page will open to the D-Link router login screen that should be similar to the attachment below.

Use Admin as the username and leave the password ***** empty.

There are some D-links that use a passsword of: admin

but I don't your model number so that's as specific as I can be.

Again, as mentioned earlier, the password ***** lost. The model number is: DIR 820L. I hope this is enough information.

Thank you. On D-Link routers there is no way to recover the password ***** forgotten as they mask it to look like this: ***********

So, you'll need to create a new one. To do that you must first log in to the router.

The Run box will open.

In the text area type: http://192.168.0.1 or http://dlinkrouter.local./ and click OK.

A browser page will open to the D-Link router login screen that should be similar to the attachment above

that I sent earlier.

Use Admin as the username and leave the password ***** empty and click Log In

From the vertical menu on the left select Wireless Settings.

At the bottom of the Wireless Settings page select Manual Wireless Network Setup.

Scroll to the bottom where you see the Pre-Shared Key entry. (see attachment)

Delete the dots in the box to the right of Pre-Shared Key.

Enter in what you want the new wi-fi password ***** be. It must be 8 characters or more.

Use only letters and numbers and avoid spaces and special characters.

Once you've typed in your new wireless password/pre-shared key, click Save Settings

to apply the new password. Any wireless devices that are currently connected will need

to be re-connected using the new password.

Let me know the result please.