Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I just got a universal dual band wifi extender Model

Customer Question
I just got a...

I just got a universal dual band wifi extender Model WN3500RP. How do I hook it up?

Technician's Assistant: Are you able to connect using an ethernet cable?

No,

Technician's Assistant: Which lights are colored and/or blinking on your WN3500RP router?

A amber one

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

NO, its just plugged into the wall. will it extend my range downstairs or does it need to be plugged in down there?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Networking
11/28/2017
Network Technician: Jeremy K, Digital Educator and Network Engineer replied 6 months ago
Jeremy K
Jeremy K, Digital Educator and Network Engineer

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Good news - I have the exact device set up for my own home network. Generally it works really well and does just what it says it is supposed to do. Let's see about getting you set up with your new extender!

Alright
No, i wont pay anymore

No worries - that question is just automated you can ignore it.

Just a couple steps here and you should be set. Can you tell me what the lights are doing on the front of that range extender?

And have you gone through the web-browser based configuration process yet?

Here's a quick version of the process you need to undertake:

- after the wifi range extender device turns on for the first time, it will create its own new wifi network called "NETGEAR_EXT" - you need to join this network with a computer so that you can access the configuration portal through a web browser.

- once you're connected to the NETGEAR_EXT wifi network, you'll probably be automatically redirected to the setup portal, but if you aren't navigate to: http://www.mywifiext.net. Enter admin for the user name and password ***** the password.

-The extender searches for WiFi networks in your area and displays a list, select your wifi network from the list and click on the continue button. You'll need to put in your network password (if you've set one) and then click continue.

This should get that repeater set up to properly extend your wireless network - no cables required. Though do make sure you change the wifi connection for your computer back to the proper network.

If you'd like to see this process with screenshots included you can view it here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WN3500RP/WN3500RP_IG_22Sept2014.pdf

My goal is to provide you with excellent service and fully amswer your question – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. If finished, please take a moment to accept this answer and rate my service. Thank you for your business!