Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I am trying to add an iPhone to my home Wi-Fi but cannot…

Customer Question
Hello. I am...

Hello. I am trying to add an iPhone to my home Wi-Fi but cannot find the network password ***** enter on the iPhone setup I am connected via this PC and my other iphone

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your Wi-Fi password?

I don't recall. Most likely years ago.

Technician's Assistant: Have you connected to this Wi-Fi network from a laptop or desktop (either Mac or PC) in the past?

Yes, I am connected on this laptop I am using

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

I think that's it today

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Networking
It is a netgear wnr1000 wifi router
11/25/2017
Network Technician: Cabletech, Helpdesk replied 7 months ago
Cabletech
Cabletech, Helpdesk

Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I would be happy to assist today with your question.

Give me just a moment while I review the information provided.

Before we begin, I would like to explain how the site works if this is your first visit here. The page you are viewing offers ads for things like secure desktop connection and a phone call. These are not asked by me and I will explain in our conversation if doing one of those things would help make troubleshooting easier. If you request to do either one, I would be happy to do it with you regardless.

If you are prompted during our conversation to rate me, it is as simple as choosing between 5 stars at the top right corner about my service today. Hopefully, I will earn 5 stars today. It is the only way I receive credit for helping you today.

Some things we work on may not easily be resolved with the given resources (such as needing additional media or hardware issues that require replacement). Please understand I will try my hardest to resolve the issue or answer any questions but some things are out of my control.

Finally, make sure to bookmark this page so you can easily come back to this page. If we are working on this issue and you need to step away, you can always leave me a message on this question. I will respond as soon as I can if I am not online. I check periodically throughout the day if not during my normal business hours.

Do you have access to the bottom or back of your router? Does it have a specific URL address to access? Sometimes it will give http://something.com or 192.168.1.1 for example to access from a browser. It also gives default passwords as well. You'll need to be on a computer currently connected to the network to access the router

but there was no default password. I tried admin passwords I found and those did not work.
I was receiving 401 not authorized error messages.

If you did not change it, the default is admin and password.

According to the manual, it is http://www.routerlogin.net/ to access.

If you're unable to get in, we can manually reset it and setup the router with a new wifi password.

Okay, that dis notnwork. Bu manually reset do you mean just hitting the reset button on the router and hoding it for 30 seconds? I had already found those instructions.
I apologize - that first sentence was to read that did not work.

Yeah, and I stress on the 30 seconds. If you let go earlier, you won't be able to do it. I have let go after 10 seconds and get frustrated.

No worries, it made sense.

Do you need help setting up the router once you reset it?

Unless you are on a phone or you're directly connected to the router by Ethernet, you will lose internet.

No, I was just trying to avoid that step if I could. I had found that workaround earlier today. Thank you.

Unfortunately, there's not an easy way to by pass it if the router password *****'t known. I completely understand not wanting to reset it all up again. I had to do that at my in-laws and disliked having to resetup all the devices for them.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I would be happy to help provide any clarification or further details you may need. If you do not need any further help, just as a reminder before you go, please give me a quick rating at the top right. Hopefully I have earned 5 stars today! This helps me receive credit for helping you today. Have a great rest of your day!

Thank you

No problem!