Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

Wi Fi speed decrease. I have an HP laptop which when

connected to my WiFi network...
Wi Fi speed decrease. I have an HP laptop which when connected to my WiFi network will decrease the download and upload speeds. This is intermittent. Everything was running fine since Saturday and today everything went south. Generally, I get a 24 download speed and 1 upload on my DSL which is good where I live. Today the download is anywhere from 2 to 4 and upload might be 0.5. If I cut the WiFi off at the laptop everything goes back to where it should be. Again, it might do well for a few days or weeks then kaput. I have Frontier DSL and the bonded service. A new Arris modem. I also disconnected other devices and added one by one to ensure it wasn't one of them. The Frontier tech who came out can't figure it out either. Channels have also been changed to see if it makes a difference. It seems this all stems from the laptop which hasn't had any issues until recently. Mystified in N.C.
11/21/2017
Jason Jones, Network Technician

I look forward to helping you today.

I have setup, installed, and troubleshooted thousands of wireless networks. The issue that you describe can have many culprits. Please, answer the questions that I posed for you below. Your answers will help me figure out what the issue is.

1) What is the distance between the wireless modem and the laptop when you have issues with it being slow?

2) What is the distance between the floor and the wireless modem?

3) What is the distance between the wireless modem and the closest wall?

4) What is the distance between the wireless modem and electronic device that is closest to the modem?

I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.
Thank you,
Jason

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
1. Around 20 ft.
2. Around 3 ft.
3. Straight shot to the laptop is one wall and a doorway. If looking at my modem it is a foot from the wall on the back side. To the right is another wall about 10 ft. away. To the left and inline with with laptop, the next wall is around 15 ft., then the laptop.
4. The printer is around 3 ft. away and to the left.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I could even do a short video of my setup and distances once I get home to show you the distance.

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions.

I will not need the video. Your explanations helped me understand the environment.

As far as the problem goes, when did it start? When it started being a problem, was there anything new added to the network or any type of change made to the network?

Also, have you ever tested the wireless functionality of your laptop on a different network? If so, do you have similar problems?

Thank you,

Jason

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
It appeared last Sunday evening a week ago. Frontier tech came by Saturday ( a few days ago). I check my speed all the time because it drops frequently and I have to unplug the phone and power cables to reset. Everything is good up to the modem. He went ahead and gave me a new one thinking it might have come from a bad batch. Nothing new was added to the network and no changes made. This computer has been on this network for years. We made changes a couple of days ago since it had been acting up all week before. When I get a new modem they tell me to change the network name and password. Sometimes, if I don't do that funny things happen. I made the laptop forget my networks (it's dual band) and restarted. Did fine until today. It has a mind of its own. I have had this laptop at work before, but not since this cropped up. Funky update that may have sneaked in? Corruption? Virus?

The issue may be with a corrupt update to the wireless network driver or something to that effect.

Please, follow the instructions below to solve your problem:
- Hold both of the two following keys at the same time: Windows Key and the letter R key
- In the box that comes up, type the following and click OK: rstrui
- Choose to Restore to an earlier time > Click Next.
- Choose a date at least one week before you started experiencing your problem.
- Click NEXT > NEXT > NEXT.
- Your computer will restart and your issue will be gone.

Once that is complete, test the use of the adapter for a few days or so and report back with the status of the problem, if you continue to have issues.

Please, do not forget to rate my help on the top of this page by clicking the Stars and clicking the Submit button. If you have any questions later on, you can come back to this same page and continue communication with me here.

Thank you,

Jason

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
OK. I'll do that once I get home. I'll let you know the result.

Thank you.

Please, do not forget to come back to this page and update me.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I got to the restore part and the only entry I have says critical update for Windows dated 11/19/17. No other entries below that.

Thank you for the update. May I connect with you remotely to troubleshoot the issue directly? When the remote session begins, we will be able to communicate back and forth via a chat window that will appear on your computer screen.

Jason Jones, Network Technician

Thank you. Let's begin the remote help session now.

Follow the instructions below to begin the remote helping screen.

Remote page: http://remote.jasonfixedit.com

After clicking the link above, enter the following two digit number: 67
- And then click the circle button to start the remote application.
(After the file finishes downloading, please open the file and run it.)

Thank you for your time and patience today.

In the future, if you need any help with anything in the categories below, please let me know.

On this website, I am an expert in each of the following categories listed below:
- Computer
- Networking
- Mac
- Printer
- Cell Phones
- E-Readers
- Android Devices
- Laptop
- Computer Hardware
- Software
- Email
- Microsoft Office
- Smartphones
- Office Equipment
- Programming
- Consumer Electronics

In the future, if you wish to work with me, ***** *****, you may ask your question at the following page that you may bookmark/favorite, if you wish. To be sure that it is sent to me, preface the question with -For ***** ***** Only!-

My Profile Page:

http://JasonFixedit.com

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
I'm back with a follow up. Everything seemed to be going fine until today. My speeds are up and down. At first, I thought it was my Time Capsule or one of my laptops slowing things down. I took them off and at times things seemed to get faster, but then, the speeds would slow. I would restart each of them separately and sometimes things would be great and then things would be so-so. Give it a rest and it might be back up. No rhyme or reason to this. I even took my Frontier Ari extenders off. The Time Capsule is connected to the modem in the wired fashion. The laptop is wireless. What the heck is going on?

Okay, so it has been working for one week, but it slowed down today?

Power down the modem, router, and computer. Power them back up and test the speed.

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
OK, back in a few.

Thank you

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Still pretty varible. It might pop up to 22 or so then back down to 18 or less. Used Chrome and Firefox.

It popping up from 22, down to 18, may be because the website you are downloading from is giving out varying speeds.

If you are getting 18Mbps speed, then there should be no problem.

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Most of the day it has dropped to 8 or so. It just now popped up to the 18 or so.

In your subscription with your Internet Service Provider, do you have a minimum bandwidth that they promise to you in your contract? If that is the case, then you may need to remind them of that. As it stands, the problem is not with the modem or router. Either they are not fulfilling their part of the contract or there is an issue with their lines.

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
They told me no more than a 30% variance is there guarantee. This is a chronic issue with Frontier. I just took the questionable laptop off the wireless part and speeds jump right back up to 24 to 27 download. This only seems to affect download speeds, not upload.
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
their.

The questionable laptop is probably in the process of downloading updates.

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Ahhh, all day though? I uploaded some things to YouTube this week and everything went to snail's pace.
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
MIght it be better if I reopen my 5g network and put it on that band?

All day? Yes, if the download is large. What is the questionable laptop downloading?

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
I'm not downloading anything today unless it is something in the background I don't know about.

Okay. May I remotely connect to the questionable computer and look to see what is downloading?

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
It is in the middle of disc optimization. Does that matter?

No, it does matter.

After clicking the link above, enter the following two digit number: 19

The problem is that you have iDrive, an online backup system. It was downloading 1/2 a terabyte of data when I remotely connected. When the backup was paused, the download speed quadrupled.

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Eureka! The iDrive backup progress window has a slider. If I increase the bandwidth consumption to 100% (where it was set as default) it sucks the life out of my system. If I decrease it, it is a cause and effect situation. I need to work on getting it set to incremental since I have had this for some time and I knew it wasn't just a Frontier issue. I obviously didn't see the forest for the trees. My Carbonite is incremental and doesn't have the same effect. Now, when I first create these programs it takes days to download. Thanks again.

Thank you for the update. If you need any help in the future, please let me know.

-Jason

Customer reply replied 15 days ago
Jason, do you also cover questions regarding hard drive back ups?

Yes, I cover all questions concerning any topic relating to computers, hardware, software, network, etc.

-Jason

Customer reply replied 15 days ago
OK, thanks. Look for another question.

Thank you. It looks like someone else picked it up.

Customer reply replied 6 days ago
Jason, I have another question for you. I do not have the selection for Ask Me Another Question. How can I get just you?

After clicking the link above, enter the following two digit number: 54

Sorry. Ignore that last message.

You may request me for a new task on the following page: http://www.JasonFixedit.com

Jason Jones, Network Technician