Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

We need a new wireless router. I keep reading but get more…

We need a new wireless...
We need a new wireless router. I keep reading but get more confused. We have 4 laptops, 5 cellphones, and 3 iPads all using the same internet. I can’t afford the expensive ones. Can you help direct me what to look for in speed and bands that would give us good service, connectivity, and speed but be reasonable priced. And what are the minimums I don’t want to go slower than
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/21/2017
Samuel NetEngineer
Samuel NetEngineer, Certified Networking Engineer

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am one of the experts that is going to help you today. Please give me a moment to look over your question so I don't miss anything.

Your router is important when it comes to speed and connectivity, but it is not the most important thing.

For example, your speeds rely heavily on the internet provider and package you are paying for.

Your connectivity heavily relies on the size of your house. However, you can always use a cheap Wifi extender to spread the signal further.

Do you know what the upload and download speeds you are getting from your internet service provider?

I haven’t checked in a while

Okay, what is your budget?

I need under $200

Okay, that is more than enough money.

It sounds like you don't need anything crazy, just multiple machines using standard internet and apps.

For that, I recommend getting something like this.

That would put you under $100 and would perfectly suite your needs.

Ok thanks. Is there a minimum AC I should look for? This one is AC1750

Nope, AC is just the wireless standard it is using (802.11AC) the AC1750 is just the model number that Netgear uses.

If you feel like you want a little better router, you can move up to one of the higher end models on that page.

I think the AC1750 should be fine for your use though!

Thanks so much

Please Rate My Service if my answer was sufficient!
If you have any other questions please let me know, as I always strive for excellent service!!
Thank you!

Samuel NetEngineer