Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I'm trying to configure/toggle UPnP settings on my wireless…

Customer Question
Hello, I'm trying to...

Hello, I'm trying to configure/toggle UPnP settings on my wireless adapter, the AC1200/6210 and i'm not sure what software to use.

Technician's Assistant: Can you describe your network setup (devices and cables used)?

Just the wireless adapter in a USB port connected to a public network (Boingo)

Technician's Assistant: What happened right before this popped up?

The xbox app on the PC told me that my NAT type was "Strict"

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

Disabling and enabling the teredo adapter, setting a different DNS server address in the iPv4 properties

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

If She/he remembers the command to CHANGE the teredo adapters' address, that would be great, too.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Networking
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/9/2017
Network Technician: Karthik, System Administrator replied 5 months ago
Karthik
Karthik, System Administrator

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

It sounds like you are getting Nat type was strict in your Xbox app in your PC. This issue will occur when firewall blocks the computer's IP address. Before we proceed further, I would like to ask you few question about this problem. Could you please tell me what is the Operating system of the computer? So that we can check for the IP address.

Win 10 x64

First let me check the IP address on the computer.
1. Now press and hold “Windows Key + R” and the “Run” window will open.
2. In the Run box, write ncpa.cpl and press Enter or OK and the Network window will open.
3. Check if you see any Ethernet adapter or Wifi adapter
4. If the computer is connected to the Ethernet cable, Do aright click on the Ethernet and click Status
5. If the computer is connected using Wifi, Do a right click on the wifi and click Status
6. Click Detail in the status window
You can see
Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
Description: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address: XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX
DHCP Enabled: Yes
IPv4 Address: ??.??.??.??
IPv4 Subnet Mask: ??.??.??.??
IPv4 Default Gateway: ??.??.??.??
Can I have the IPv4 Address, Subnet Mask, Default gateway?

iPv4 Add.: 10.4.67.212
" Subnet mask: 255.255.0.0
" Def. Gateway: 10.4.0.10

Since you are getting private IP address and your network contain NAT restriction. So in order to fix this problem, we need to open the ports or disable the firewall for the particular computer. As you mentioned that your computer is connected to the Public network, We are going to access the Router dashboard. Try to open any browser like Chrome or IE and enter this IP address 10.4.0.10 in the address box. check and tell what do you see on the screen?

60285;
Hmmm...can’t reach this page
Try this
Make sure you’ve got the right web address: http://10.0.4.10
Search for "http://10.0.4.10" on Bing
Refresh the page
DetailsSo i'm not using a standalone router/modem- it's a wireless adapter USB card. I've tried accessing it to change settings through Netgear Genie, but to no avail

And I could see that you requested for a Secure Remote Assistance, but the payment was failed. You can quickly check with Justanswer customer support by click this link http://ww2.justanswer.com/customer-support . Once the payment failure is cleared we can try to take a remote access and we can try fixing this problem.

Opening the NAT strict or changing the UPNP setting can done only on the standalone router. May I know who is your Internet service provider(ISP)?

Boingo

Can you please try this step to check if you can access website

1. Press and hold “Windows Key + R” and the “Run” window will open.

2. In the Run box, type iexplore 10.4.0.10 and press Enter or OK.

Please check what do you see on the screen?

Just a blank screen- nothing on the webpage at all.

It seems like your internet provider's firewall is blocking the connection in the Xbox app. In this case there are*****for fixing this Nat issue

1. You can contact your ISP(Boingo) and inform them to "Enable the DMZ for 10.4.67.212 (disable the firewall for this particular IP address 10.4.67.212)".

2. You may need to get one standalone router. So that I can help you in enable the DMZ or open the firewall but if you still using the same ISP or same private IP address(10.x.x.x). You still need to contact the ISP to open the firewall.

Alright i'll give them a call; thanks for the help.

If you have any follow-up questions, don’t hesitate to ask. See you again soon! Thank you for you patience.

They can't unlock my IP, as I'm on a miklitary base, it poses security threats
I understand, in this case let me opt out from end and allow other experts to view this issue and they will be posting back your replies. Thank you for your patience.
Network Technician: Damian Costa, System Administrator replied 5 months ago
Damian Costa
Damian Costa, System Administrator

Hi...My name is ***** ***** a veteran technician expert with over 20yrs of experience...I have more questions first before we begin

What branch of the military?

Damian Costa
Damian Costa
Damian Costa, System Administrator