Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

We have 4 cable modem connections coming into our business.

We want to setup the...
we have 4 cable modem connections coming into our business. We want to setup the topology in the picture. For LAN switches we have two stacked merakis so failover is perfect, however with 4 modems coming into the WAN switch, how would we avoid a single point of failure if that switch goes down (that terminates all of our IP connecions) any ideas would be appreciated we use Comcast business modems. As far as I know there's a single link only on each modem. Thanks
10/18/2017
R Hefner
R Hefner, Computer Engineer and Instructor

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be answering your question on the network configuration.

I understand that you have some merakis switches with redundancy and the concern in the WAN switch or the switch to the Internet.

Here are some suggestions:

1. If you are concerned over losing the Internet, then one solution is to have two ISP. if one fails that the other takes over and the SonicWall is a good product for this. This component allows for two ISP to be connected for this reason.

2. If you are worried about a power outage and the ability for the switch to stay powered on and connected. I would recommend a UPS - Uninterrupted Power Supply. This is basically a big battery that you can install on the system. If the power goes out then the components connected to the battery will run on the battery. Once the power is restored then the battery is recharged by the wall outlet.

whatis.techtarget.com/definition/N1-UPS

http://advanticom.com/sonicwall-dual-isp-failoverredundancy

If I have answered your questions, please rate me a t the top of the page with 5 stars.

If I have failed to answer the questions please let me know and I will find the answer.

Thank you for using just answers

Well our concern is more like If a link to a particular block of address on one modem fails. Since there's only one Ethernet connection running to the switch, if that switch fails it brings down all of our 4 ISP connections.
I can't find a work around besides doing link aggregation to a stacked switches, but as far as I know there's no way to provide a redundant link to a comcast modem. Any thoughts?

Since the concern is the connection, I would investigate the SonicWall for multiple ISP connections. If one connection fails then the other ISP will take over.

The Internet connection is the typical single point of contact for all small businesses.

There is not a why top provide multiple Internet connections to a comcast modem. Other suggestion which is expensive is to request for a dedicated (T-1) line from the ISP.

R Hefner