Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

Just moved a asa5505 from one building to another and cant…

Customer Question
Just moved a asa5505...

Just moved a asa5505 from one building to another and cant get site to site vpn to work. it owrked in other building. I changed every field that pertained to new static ip

Technician's Assistant: Can you describe your network setup (devices and cables used)?

Asa5505 in building b with fios and static ip. moved it from another fios building across street. it was connected to a sa540 in main building a with fios and static ip. I just moved it and just changed every field from one static ip to the other, but no site to site von tunnel

Technician's Assistant: What happened right before this popped up?

The building b had a sa540 and it died. need this building up, so stole working asa5505 from another building and brought it here. i am on it now. internet works on the vlan5, not vlan1. I went through every field looking for ip[ addresses to change. I caant seem to connect to the internet on the main vlan1, just this vklan5

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

Going through every field item by item. i dont know what else to check. I backed up config before making any changes. I restored config and brought unit back to original building and it reconnected there, but when I try to change it for this building, something does not connect.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

I dont know what to look for. I never had any problem with sa540's, but I am at aloss with these asa boxes. Cisco set each one up originally, but now they wont support them anymore

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Networking
10/6/2017
Network Technician: Syseng, Computer Systems Engineer replied 7 months ago
Syseng
Syseng, Computer Systems Engineer

My name is David.

Perhaps the quickest way to identify what is preventing the VPN from connecting would be to run debug output to the 5505 console so that you can view exactly where in the VPN negotiation the connection is failing. For example, run the following command to view output as VPN connection is attempted:

debug crypto condition peer x.x.x.x

but replace x.x.x.x with the IP address of the other VPN endpoint. The debug output should reveal where the negotiations are failing so you can fix the problem.

Please let me know the result and if you need further assistance.

Thanks,

David.

Do you still need assistance?

Also, please provide a positive rating (3, 4, or 5 star) as that is how I receive credit for my work.
Thanks,
David.

Syseng
Syseng
Syseng, Computer Systems Engineer