Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I am still wondering why I can't connect my computer and…

Customer Question
I am still wondering why...
I am still wondering why I can't connect my computer and phones to the Arris. Can I give you the make? which number do I put in as the password ***** connect? pre shared key or wps pin. it gives a # for 2.4G and 5G
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Networking
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/5/2017
Network Technician: Harold Hanna, System Administrator replied 8 months ago
Harold Hanna
Harold Hanna, System Administrator

Yes that is fine. Do you see the other link we were talking in? For some reason I see two chat screens now.

it's gone I guess.

Oh alright that is odd. It's OK. I'm more than happy to assist until you are connected completely. Yes what is the make of the Arris router?

TG1672G

When you scan for wireless networks from one of your devices, you'll notice at least the first network connection.

For example -- FL73AD0F

Sometimes you'll see that same connection, with -5g at the end

For example -- FL73AD0F-5g

we were disconnected while I was waiting for you as I decided to see if I could connect again through link sys which says I am connected with 5 lines but i can't receive internet. tried to get on Arris, no luck there either for my computer.

Not all devices have the updated networking to be able to use the -5g link, so we will attempt to connect to the normal Arris wifi connection.

to respond back_yes I see those numbers and have chosen them and put the "pre-shared key" # in - this worked to connect my TV, but not my phone or computer.

Keep in mind when it says "Connected", that means to that device itself. It does not mean you are "Connected" to the internet. That is likely the current issue. You are connected to the Linksys, but that Linksys is not on the internet. Let's not worry about the Linksys, and only use the Arris device for now.

ok

Is the preshared key number 4 digits or more?

should i go ahead and just unplug the link sys?

Yes please.

it's the device # and then 6 combo letters and numbers.

Alright, all you should have to do is click the network from your computer, then when it asks for the password, enter the network key (not the WPS PIN)

ok i'll try it again, but we will be disconnected when I do.....

Alright you can try it with another device if you'd like. Once it works with one device we'll know there is no further troubleshooting needed, as it will be the same for every device.

I have to step away for about an hour. I am pretty confident what we will have discussed will help you.

Please rate me or let me know if I was able to help with this problem! Have a great day!