Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I have configured my DLink DAP-1360 as a repeater. However…

Customer Question
Hi I have configured my...

Hi
I have configured my DLink DAP-1360 as a repeater. However it does not connect to the internet. Only the main router connects to the internet. Please let me know how to make it connect to the internet.Thanks
Rajesh J

Technician's Assistant: How much experience do you have with this particular D-Link product?

I have used DLink routers but first time using a repeater

Technician's Assistant: What happened right before this popped up?

The dap does not connect to internet

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

Can you please answer the question above ?

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Networking
10/1/2017
Network Technician: Russell H., Internet and LAN replied 10 months ago
Russell H., Internet and LAN

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

A 'repeater', I presume, means a wireless range extender, or a WiFi-router-type device configured to repeat the main router's WiFi signal to a farther reach or more distant places than the main router can reach.

Remember that, in configuring a range extender, one has to set it to the same SSID as the WiFi router one is trying to extend.
And also, the encryption code must be the exact same type (not just WPA, for instance, but if the main router is WPA-PSK, then the extender must be WPA-PSK too. This requirement may even extend to revision level, so if a router is very new and an extender is much older, it may not work.) And the encryption passphrase or 'password' for the WiFi access, must be set to the same exact passphrase/password ***** the main router's WiFi access is set to.

Another point: range extenders must actually be within range of the main router. So check on that also, by trying to access the main router (after turning Off the range extender altogether, and unplugging it) from that same position with a wireless-equipped laptop, and see if it has a reasonably strong signal, of at least two bars I would recommend (though only one green bar *might* work reliably.)

Let me know how it goes, and what you find out, please. Thanks.