Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

My laptop can "see" my printer (which is connected

My laptop can "see" my...
My laptop can "see" my printer (which is connected wirelessly) but will not print.
JA: Have you tested the connections by doing a ping utility test?
Customer: no, not sure what that is...
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: nothing
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have been able to air print from my iPad, so some connection to the printer is working...
JA: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm afraid I don't know what I don't know.
9/24/2017
Joe AV
Joe AV, System Administrator

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I would like to help you with this issue. Can you tell me what happens when you go to print something on your laptop?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It doesn't report anything. It simply doesn't print. If I click on the printer icon in my sys tray, it reports that there is an error in printing
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let's see if you can walk me through a trouble shoot first
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just to confirm, your secure connect would be a TOTAL of $39 or an ADDITIONAL $39

the secure connect offer was automatically sent to you. If you prefer we can try troubleshooting here first. I believe it is an additional $39 so it may be easier on the pocket to try this first.

The first thing I would like for you to try is to disable the wifi on the laptop and re-enable it. Reconnect to your wifi. Re-discover the printer and then try. This sometimes will fix the issue. Please let me know how that goes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Disconnect or disable?

you can disconnect and reconnect

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Have disconnected and reconnected. How do I "discover" the printer?

When you try to air print, it should ask you to find a printer. Let's give that a shot.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When I open Devices and Printers, I see an error on my HP color LaserJet
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, I CAN air print from my iPad. However, the actual printer name comes up on print options from the laptop.

ok. is the printer connected to the wifi in the house, or does your ipad just connect directly to it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
great question! I believe the printer is connected to the wifi in the house. The iPad connects directly to the printer.

ok. That is likely the problem. Can you give me the model number on the printer? I will look it up to see what is the best solution.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
HP Laser Jet Pro M252dw

Ok please allow me a few moments to review.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you've got 'em.

OK. It sees you are doing direct printing (Near Field Communication) with the ipad. Below is some info I found.

Wi-Fi Direct and NFC Printing (wireless models only)

Wi-Fi Direct and NFC (Near Field Communication) enable printing from a wireless mobile device without

requiring a connection

to a network or the Internet.

NFC capabilities enable easy one-to-one print connection for mobile devices using device-to-device touch.

Use Wi-Fi Direct to print wirelessly from the following devices:

iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch using Apple AirPrint or the HP ePrint app

Android mobile devices using the HP ePrint App or the Android embedded print solution

PC and Mac devices using the HP ePrint Software

Enable or disable Wi-Fi Direct

Wi-Fi Direct capabilities must be enabled

first

from the product control panel.

1. From the Home screen on the product control panel, touch the Connection Information

button.

2.Open the following menus:

Wi-Fi Direct

Settings

On/Off

3. Touch the On menu item. Touching the Off

button disables Wi-Fi Direct printing.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I want wifi Direct - OFF (which it is)

I believe you want it on, then install the HP eprint software to allow for wireless printing.

NFC printing is only for mobile devices ( phones, tablets)

Please let me know if it works when you have a moment.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Now am resetting the Wireless Setup Wizard on the printer...

ok. Let me know how it goes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's working! ...although I no longer have a network cable attached to the printer...

Great. If the printer is connected via wifi it is better not to have it hard wired as that can "confuse" the printer and it may actually pull to separate IP addresses (wired, wireless) which can cause problems with connectivity. I hope I was able to answer all your questions. If you would please rate my performance at the top of this page it would be greatly appreciated as this helps us a lot. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Joe AV
Joe AV, System Administrator
Joe AV
Joe AV
Joe AV, System Administrator