Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

Internet speed/connection issue... I have an ISP with

Hello: internet speed/connection issue... I have...
Hello: internet speed/connection issue...
I have an ISP with download speeds of 150-180 with ethernet cables connected to 3 computers. 2 are running windows 10, i5 units and are just great. I am having intermittent speed connection problems with an older unit running XP(Gateway AMD 64 athlon) ..on an ookla speed test I was getting the same speeds through an ethernet cable but now down to less than 5.
Is there some setting that I have to set and fix in the network settings...so that I am able to keep those high download speeds... I have changed the cable so that is not the issue....?
email answer is just fine!
9/15/2017
Russell H., Internet and LAN

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
That's a puzzle, to begin with. If it only happens on one computer, though, that it slows down that much, then you have either

A. a defect on that one computer, or

B. a bad port on the switch or router that one computer is connected to?? not likely. Easily determined by swapping cables, one port to the other and vice-versa, with another PC on the same switch or router box. And re-testing.

So it's most probably a problem on the computer. Please give me all the basic details about the affected Gateway computer, and I will advise - or ask for further details - etc.

For instance: what's the CPU speed, how much RAM memory (not hard disk or virtual memory) is on the Gateway, and also, what Ethernet network adapter does it use? a 10/100 type, or something else?

Answers to your questions:
A. a defect on that one computer, or<<<<Problem is intermittent....???>>>B. a bad port on the switch or router that one computer is connected to?? not likely. Easily determined by swapping cables, one port to the other and vice-versa, with another PC on the same switch or router box. And re-testing.<<<Already tried switching cables....I did notice different colors of the connection lights at the back of the Hitron:modem/router:::: yellow flashing is the high speed, green flashing is the low speed and that was consistent with the cable change and must be a speed related indicator>>So it's most probably a problem on the computer. Please give me all the basic details about the affected Gateway computer, and I will advise - or ask for further details - etc.
<<<<Gateway older model AMD 64 Athlon 64 Processor, 2.2ghz, exact model # GT5056, XP, 4 meg of Ram installed (max), Nvidia nforce 10/100 ethernet>>>>For instance: what's the CPU speed, how much RAM memory (not hard disk or virtual memory) is on the Gateway, and also, what Ethernet network adapter does it use? a 10/100 type, or something else?An answer by email is fine....heading out on the road

OK... so whatever port this Gateway is hooked up to, the speed indicator light changes to low speed for that port? to green light, that is?

That must mean the 10/100 ethernet card or port in the Gateway is - somehow - only operating on the 10 (roughly, or maximum) speed, rather than the higher 100 speed.

(I am guessing that the router or switch box that indicates green/slow for the port the Gateway is connected to, is itself 10/100 capable, on its Ethernet ports. That's presumable.)

Settings in the computer's software, for the Ethernet port on the computer, should be checked. That's what I would do if I were there... let me know what you find, or if you need instruction on checking those Ethernet port settings in the right place. And I will instruct you.

Can you suggest some settings for me to relay to you? I can list the current settings as I find them, possibly with screenshot jpgs. I recall rightt clicking to find properties and advanced settings for the drop downs and list boxes....but if you can relay preferred or your best guesses that might be the easiest..... back later or tomorrow for your answer

Try going into Device Manager. Open the Properties for the 10/100 Ethernet card in the Network Adapters section.

See if any setting there relates to '10 Mbps' vs. '100 Mbps' or '10 or 100 Mpbs' perhaps.

Thanks for the screenshots... I would have responded 10 min. sooner, but for a bit of system trouble...

in and out all day.....no screaming rush...and rain all day tomorrow ...so desk work....

First question: Why is it titled "#2" Ethernet adapter ? was there a previous install of it, and this is a reinstall, perhaps?

Second question: click on Troubleshooter (in the NVidia nForce 10/100 etc. Properties), follow through the process. What result do you get?

Third question: is the cable you are using to connect the Gateway, in any way used, old, or maybe a lower revision of CAT5x ? that might obligatorily switch the port into 10 Mbps mode (or lower speed) instead of 100 Mbps (or higher speed) ?

Answers: 1. one on many reinstalls....computer in use since 2007 and many programs and files will only run in 16 or 32 bit ...so I have to keep it functional for as long as I can....
2: troubleshooter indicates operating as Ok ...enabled and disabled more than once with same result.
3. I did try a different (newer) cable with the same results in both speed and light colors on back of the modem....
definitely out for the next 6-8 hours....

OK... tell me when you're back... I have more ideas as to what to try.

Back in....If you have access to what the original settings could be or should be for a single direct cable connection to an older XP with the connection details I have supplied, it might easier to start from that point.....??? I have removed all items except internet protocol (TCP/IP) in the (General/advanced) I have previously sent to you as the Local Area connection properties window for the Nvidia connection. Under its properties there are no IP/DNS settings and I have left them as Obtain an IP automatically....but just guessing at this point

That sounds right, though clearing the decks in that manner wasn't necessarily what I would have advised.

Go to Device Manager, please.

(If you need instructions, let me know.)

Find the Network Adapters brand, open it with one click on it.

What devices are shown in the Network Adapters branch, please?

It now shows 2 : 1394 net adapter # 3 with a red X, and the nvidia nForce 10/100 Mbps ethernet # 2

OK. I presume the problem is not altered. Have you restarted since you did the clean sweep of the devices/Ethernet/etc.? if not, please restart that computer. To be sure the changes take full effect...

I have done so more than once, and that's when the 1394 appeared......and a scheduled Norton full system scan has started...which I can stop and restart later....a restart of the system will take a few minues as it is loaded with a lot of older programs and there is only so much Ram to accomadate things.....give me a good 10 minutes.

More time than that if you need it - no rush. Thanks.

Good. What does the light on the port on the router say?

Check the Low Power Link State setting, what is it?

Check the Low Power Idle Mode setting, what is it? referencing the NVIDIA NForce settings Advanced in the upper left of that graphic.

no changes in the light on the modem...
Check the Low Power Link State setting, what is it? enabled
Check the Low Power Idle Mode setting, enabled

OK.

I note that the Status indicates a 100 Mbps connection. Is the router it is hooked up to, a Gigabit router, or just a 10/100 router?

HItron model CGNM-2250...????
but I am getting high speeds on ookpla speed testing with 2 other computers connected to the same router in the same way at 178-180.....

OK, thanks for the info. How many other computers are also using the Hitron modem/router's connections/ports/WiFi, etc. ?

Precisely which light - is it on the back next to the port, if so which of the two lights there for each port - is indicating slow rather than fast, for the Gateway computer's particular port?

There are 2 lights for each port...The high speeds for 2 of 3 computers are flashing yellow and generating the high speeds I mentioned...both are running windows 10 and are i5 units. The 3rd computer is the problem speed issue flashing green, the older XP gateway model referenced earlier, an AMD Athlon unit. But it did have almost the same ookla speed until a day or to ago......just don't know what happened? total of 3 of 4 ports being used now along with 3 laptops wirelessly upstairs, all registering in excess of 40 on the same OOkla speed tests.

Did you add any new device(s) to the network about 1 or 2 or 3 days ago?

No.

Well... Windows XP is not supported. I suggest that you get me the exact model # off the manufacturers (Gateway's) label on the Gateway PC, please. With that, I will recommend a software procedure to try.

Or... given that Windows XP has System Restore capability... why not just try doing a (successful - turn Off anti-virus protection temporarily, and disconnect physically from the internet cable also, before initiating the System Restore) ... System Restore on the Gateway, to 2 or 3 days or a week ago?

Provided you did not install any Microsoft software of any sort since that time ago, on the Gateway, of course... a System Restore could deprive you of your license to Microsoft software installed since the date that you revert your system back to... so don't go too far back either, if you try this.

Does that sound good? and do you need further instructions?

Let me know how that goes, if you try it, please.

I am not concerned about the license issue but will wait another day or two to try the restore. I am going to rate your service/answer as excellent and just percolate for another day or two on this.
Just answer is not letting me pick 5 stars....as your rating...???
I will log in directly rather than answer through the email link.
logged in directly and cannot supply a rating...??? will try again later today

OK! Thanks for trying. I have double-checked, and will enable the five-star interface, now.

Stopping back later is fine, too, to let me know what thoughts you have had and perhaps advise you further on this matter. Thanks again for trying to apply a 5-star rating, I appreciate that! have a good day.

Russell H., Internet and LAN
Russell H., Internet and LAN