Syseng
Syseng, Computer Systems Engineer
Experience:  Cisco and Microsoft certified with over 20 years experience in system design, integration and development
13852270

Question: What are the IP's/subnets/NAT/protocols for each

Question: What are the IP's/subnets/NAT/protocols for each interface given that each end user needs their own public ip but the equipment still needs to be on the main network for tech access.Scenario: Rural area, 1 broadband modem, 30+ neighbors, small WISP(out of necessity not profit), understanding of networking but not enough for this and the neighborhood is getting frantic since they found out their long awaited broadband isn't happening. Called ISP and legally allowed to distribute(after paying much for business). Ubiquiti equipmentSetup: Ubiquiti equipmentISP 98.xxx.xxx.xx --- Modem 10.1.x.x ---> (IPs?) Ubiquiti Router (IP/etc?) ------> (IP?) 3 Access Points (currently bridged) -----> (IPs?)User Radio (currently router) 192.x.x.xNote: My knowledge is limited to everyone being on the same lan and this is a no-go before putting these up. Just need to have them have their own public IP's but still access the radios (they will have routers behind them)

Hi
Sorry for the delay, we are busy and I've just got to your question.
How long has this been happening?
Thanks
Kris

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How long has what been happening?

Home work help, when is this required?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I assure you, this isn't homework. If you cannot be professional and just answer the question, pass me on to someone who can

Opting out for another expert

My name is David.

First I need more information.

To clarify, each end user must have their own public IP but in the 192.x.x.x range, correct?

Do you have a drawing of the network?

Is the modem capable of bridging and the Ubiquiti router to use port based NAT (PAT)?

Also, does the Ubiquiti router have DHCP services enabled?

Thanks,

David.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'll make a quick diagram while you respond.."To clarify, each end user must have their own public IP but in the 192.x.x.x range, correct?"
No, that was their end radio; router mode w/dhcp
"modem capable of bridging" no, it's a typical SMC Comcast business gateway. Though I read somewhere to put the Ubi-router in the DMZ and do double NAT?"Ubiquiti router to use port based NAT (PAT)"
Can create DNAT rules, does that answer?"Ubiquiti router have DHCP services enabled"
It can, but currently have static
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Quick Diagram

Ok thanks.

Based on what I now know about the devices this configuration should work:

Ubiquiti equipment ISP 98.xxx.xxx.xx ---

Modem 10.1.x.x ---> (IPs?) NAT 10.1.0.1/30 to 10.1.0.2/30 (on the Ubiquiti router)

Ubiquiti Router (IP/etc?) ------> (IP?) Double NAT with Ubiquiti router in the Modem DMZ should work as I have used that configuration many times without issues. As for IP addresses, assign the inside interface 192.168.254.1/25 and assign IP addresses to the homes so they each have their own dedicated subnet. You could do this with subinterfaces on the Ubiquiti router or VLANs (whichever it supports), with one subinterface or VLAN per home serviced. Then on each subinterface or VLAN you dedicate a /30 subnet to a home which will require 4 IP addresses per home for each subnet (one for the network IP, one for the broadcast IP, one for the router's subinterface or VLAN and one for the home). So the first home could be:

192.168.254.4-7/30 and assign the VLAN .5 and the home .6

Home #2:

192.168.254.8-11/30 and assign the VLAN .9 and the home .10

and follow the same pattern for all 30 homes.

Since 30 x 4 = 120 and the router subnet is /25 (good for 128 IP addresses) the router's subnet mask includes the router's internal IP address is a "supernet" of the IP addresses assigned to the homes so the router can forward traffic to the router and each home has their own separate Internet IP address with routing disabled between VLANs.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Could you label the diagram? I won't be able to respond further until 9am EST

Yes, OK - I will place the information on the diagram and post it for you.

Please see the attached diagram with labels.

Also, please let me know if you have further questions or need clarification.

Did you need further assistance?

Did you need further assistance?

If not, please provide a positive rating (3, 4, or 5 star) as that is how I receive credit for my work.
Thanks,
David.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Apologies for the delayed response. 5 stars though I do have more questions, how can we proceed?

Yes, if you could rate 5 stars on this one then when you have more questions you can post another and request me (David L. or Syseng) and I will respond and start work on it.

Thanks!

David.

Syseng, Computer Systems Engineer
Experience: Cisco and Microsoft certified with over 20 years experience in system design, integration and development