Pete, Networking Engineer
Experience:  CISCO Certified Networking Engineer
30970729

I have two laptops (windows 10 non mac) that operate with a

Customer Question

I have two laptops (windows 10 non mac) that operate with a proprietary system using accuserve. The laptops can be switched to wifi, but it is the same effect as taking them off line from the proprietary system. I need a user to run a report on one and save it to an excel file daily that so that a crm program in a cloud can access the file through a third laptop (the third laptop is necessary as the other two need to be on accuserve during business hours). Networking them wont work becuase the two I need to access are using accuserve not wifi. I tried usbing the third laptop and one running the report but you have to run software on both during the file transfer. All I am trying to do is simplify this as much as possible. I thought I could use an external drive and share it but two laptops cant use the external drive at the sametiime. The only way I can figure I can do this is by using a simple usb switch which allows for switiching the computer that accesses the external drive. Any thoughts?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

An easier solution would be to allow the laptops to be connected to both wifi and LAN network at the same time.

To do this, you will need to change the network card priority so that the wireless connection remains active when a wired connection is made.

The first step is to get to the "Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center" page. On the left side of that page, click the link "Change adapter settings". This should bring you to the "Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections >" page.

Select the wireless connection, right-click "Properties", and provide an admin password (if necessary). This should bring you to a dialog box named [wireless connect name] Properties".

In the list box titled "This connection uses the following items:", scroll down to "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" and select it. The "Properties" command button will enable; click it. This should bring you to a dialog box named "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties".

Click the "Advanced" command button. This should bring you to a dialog box named "Advanced TCP/IP Settings".

Near the bottom of the dialog box, there should be a check box named "Automatic metric". Uncheck it. That will enable a text box named "Interface metric". Fill in a number. It needs to be larger than 1 (reserved for loopback) and the number you choose for the wired network (see below).

Click three "OK" command buttons to return to the "Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections >" page.

Repeat the above for the wired connection:

Select the wired connection, and right-click "Properties" to get to the [wired connection name] Properties" dialog box.

Select the IPv4 list entry and click "Properties", and on the next dialog box click "Advanced".

Again Uncheck "Automatic metric", and fill in a number in the "Interface metric" box. It needs to be larger than 1 but smaller than the number you chose above.

Let me know if that works for you?

--------------------
Your satisfaction is my priority; I hope I have earned 5 stars today!
Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press Submit at the top of your question page to finish; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back after rating me if you need any further assistance at all.
Pete.
--------------------