Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I am having a lot of problems with my new computer mouse, it…

Customer Question
I am having a...

I am having a lot of problems with my new computer mouse, it says it is connected to my network, but there is no arrow to click onto, and it is not scrolling, What do I do?

Technician's Assistant: Have you tested the connections by doing a ping utility test?

The device does ping when I plug the USB Receiver into the mouse

Technician's Assistant: What happened right before this popped up?

The mouse has been working sporatically. It had a cursor when I first turned it on today, but none now, I have tried changing batteries, turning the computer off and on, and checking the settings, which says the device is connected and should work

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

Just what I have mentioned, turned the computer off and restarted it. Took the USB receiver out and re-inserted it several times, pushed the connect button on bottom of mouse. Don't know what else I can try to get it to work, we just bought this mouse 2 days ago!

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

That is all I can think of

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Networking
9/12/2017
Network Technician: Russell H., Internet and LAN replied 11 months ago
Russell H., Internet and LAN

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

What maker and model of mouse is it please? I have to ask this first of all, to make sure I know what we are dealing with.

And, if I may ask: how new - or old - is the mouse in question? I would guess it is cordless, but the model will tell me that... let me know, and I will advise you.

It seems it is new, just 2 days ago. Did you put new battery/batteries into it?

It is a Targus Blue Trace Wireless Mouse, I bought it about 2 days ago, yes, it has new batteries in it

OK. That leaves only matters on the computer, or it being - doubtfully, perhaps - a defective mouse from the vendor or store - to check on.

What surface are you moving it around upon? (sometimes, esp. in the old days, that could matter.)

I was told by the advertising there is a 1 year warranty, I do not feel I should have to pay an additional 39 dollars for a device that is supposed to be warranteed for a year.
I am using a mouse pad to navigate it on

It's probably 'broken', then. Does your computer have an anti-virus software on it?

And did you get this mouse because the previous mouse had a problem - of any kind whatever - ?