Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

I am currently connected via the ring main for 2 PCs to talk

Customer Question
to the router and I...
I am currently connected via the ring main for 2 PCs to talk to the router and I want to make both PCs wireless. I bought a TP-LINK USB wireless adapter which my PC recognises and confirms this device is working, but I cannot get it to talk to the router.
JA: Have you tried "power cycling" your router -- unplugging it and letting it rest for about ten seconds?
Customer: yes, no joy
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: nothing
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I keep being asked for my router PIN but I have never had one. The password ***** the router was changed to my choice.
JA: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Well the programme is installed, the adaptor is in position so just the link I must have missed somewhere, please
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Networking
9/10/2017
Network Technician: UranNet, Network Administrator replied 4 months ago
UranNet
UranNet, Network Administrator

Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.com I am Serge and I will try my best to assist you.

What exactly is the model of your wireless router that you are connecting to?

Model is NETGEAR DGN/1000v3
Prefer not

login to the router and see if your wireless is enabled. if it is - double check the wifi password ***** then try connecting again

I have not done this before - how to log in to the router?

you need to find out your gateway address first, that is the routers IP address, then you need to type that address into your internet browser.

to find out your gateway ip: go to Search, search for CMD, then click on it when comes up. in a black window type IPCONFIG and hit Enter

you will see there Gateway IP. that is the IP you type into browser

Ok What next?

did you get to the login screen?

I have it in front of me

usually username is admin and password ***** password

That's true but I changed the password ***** I got the router

do you remember it?

the pasword looks o
it looks ok

so you can login to router from admin screen?

Well it looks like I am already logged in - are you saying delete the password ***** put it in again?
I will leave it as it is - I don't want to complicate things!

ok, so try connecting with existing wifi password ***** you see in there.

I don't follow the connecting bit - what do I need to do and where on the screen?

Lets come back to your original question. You cannot connect your TP Link USB to your Wifi.

What is the issue with connecting it to WiFi?

Sorry UraNet - I have to break off, got friends just arrived just one question - as I am already connectd to the internet, should I disconnect the ethernet cable to make this exercise work?

you can try it that way too

I will do that tomorrow - briefly my PC recognises the adaptor and says it is working, I just can't get a drop down menu (as promised by the manufacturer) that lists networks, so I can log in to wifi

sure, let me know how that works

Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer