Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I have a cisco Linksys wifi router E1200. I need to change…

Customer Question
I have a cisco...

I have a cisco Linksys wifi router E1200. I need to change the passcode on the router. I no longer can find the directions. Can you tell me how to change the passcode?

Technician's Assistant: How much experience do you have with this particular Cisco product?

Not much at all, since I can't find the directions.

Technician's Assistant: What happened right before this popped up?

Nothing. I need to change the passcode so that my iPhone can connect with it. Until now, I've just used the button (reset?) to get the connection from the router to my laptop and printer going.

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

None. I don't have the directions to it; so I haven't done anything.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

No. Just how to reset the passcode on the router itself

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Networking
9/7/2017
Network Technician: Bryan, Computer Support Specialist replied 9 months ago
Bryan, Computer Support Specialist

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you today.

Just to clarify, is your computer connected wirelessly or directly to your router now? If so, I'l provide you with further instructions to retrieve/change the WIFI password ***** the same.

Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

No. I want the directions so that I can change the passcode whenever I want. I'm fairly computer literate.

PS: Please ignore the automated remote assistance offer shown on this page; it's sent by our site and not by me. We do not need to do a remote session, and I'll reply back to you below now.

I'm connected to wifi. I want to print the directions so that I can change the passcode whenever I want.

PS: Please ignore the automated remote assistance offer shown on this page; it's sent by our site and not by me.

You may do this on your computer now:

Open up the following link:

192.168.1.1

When prompted, Enter admin in the Password field and leave the User name blank. Click OK.

When the router page comes up, click Wireless at the top, and then click "Wireless settings."

There, make a note of the Passphrase/Key listed - that's your WIFI Password. You may change the WIFI password ***** this page as well. Save changes when done.

Does this work for you? Do keep me posted; thank you.

Well, that didn't work. I clicked on the link. I entered admin in the password ***** and left the user name blank. Now it won't let me go any further.

I see; typing up further steps now.

Please do this on your computer now:

Press the Windows key and R together on your keyboard to bring up the RUN box.

Type in ncpa.cpl and press ENTER.

Next, right-click on the WIFI device listed and click STATUS.

Next, click "Wireless Properties" and then click on the Security tab at the top.

Tick the "Show characters" checkbox - do you see your WIFI password ***** in the Network security key field?

Keep me posted; thank you.

Well, not having just a lot of fun here. Your directions and my screens don't mesh. HOWEVER, I've already been where you're indicating. So my question now is:
When I get to the proper screen that allows me to change the passcode, does that change the passcode on my laptop AND the router. I didn't think it did.
What I really, really need to do is access the wifi with my iPhone. It won't let me, and I think it's because the passcode is way too long. So will this allow that?

The second set of steps I provided are only for retrieving the saved WIFI password ***** your Windows computer itself - it will not allow you to change the password ***** (that can only be done through the router page).

Now, I think you are not able to access the router page following the first set of steps because your admin login has been changed. To reset this, please reset your router back to factory settings by holding down the Reset hole at the bottom of the router for 30 seconds. Here's a screenshot of where it's located:

http://resettoo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/LinksysE1200WirelessNRouterResetButton.jpg

Done resetting, connect your computer to the router with an Ethernet cable and set a new WIFI password ***** follows:

Open up the following link:

192.168.1.1

Keep me posted.

Open up the following link:

192.168.1.1

Keep me posted.