Russell H., Internet and LAN
Experience:  11 years work with Internet/IP, routers, networks, servers
13568747

I'm looking to somehow split the incoming signal from my

I'm looking to somehow split the incoming signal from my Comcast ISP to go to BOTH our Comcast's gateway and also separately to my modem-router, so I can continue with i.e. 32+ character length ID's and passwords, and they can stick with what ever is the simplest IDs & passwords they can use.My wife and daughter insist on having simple (my translation...easily hacked passwords) passwords on our home network, so they can easily access Xfinity controlled TVs, their smart phones, ipad, etc. I'm just the opposite and had to take down temporarily my own asus router and Arris modem.Is there a device that will allow this without causing any conflict? I would assign my own LAN numbers, separate from Comcast's.My router is an Asus AS-RT68u and my modem is a 6190 Surfboard modem. We have windows 10 computers, and IOS devices including iPhones and iPads.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Is your Comcast service conveyed by a cable, like cable TV cable? or is it via fiber, phone line, etc.?

And as for a device to allow both complex and simple/'easy' WiFi passwords... there isn't *one* device, but you could use two WiFi routers with different WiFi passphrase security settings, both connected to a small switch or hub, and that switch or hub connected to your main modem (unless your main modem has two spare Ethernet ports on it instead of just one, or if it has a USB port too and one router can connect by USB ... some Linksys routers in the old days had this option, though I'm not sure that any still do... you could go without the switch or hub.)

Let me know, and I will advise you more specifically.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We have cable providing both TV and internet (and are ignoring the phone line that they provide) using a regular coax cable. I'm not sure if using an ordinary TV coax splitter between their X1 (DVR-Recorder) output which would then go to their gate way, but instead using a splitter, so one cable leaving there would to go to their gateway and the other to my modem and then router.Would the splitter have to be powered or amplified in some fashion hopefully without degrading the signal or introducing noise?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm seeing something like : Portta SDI Splitter 2 Port 1x2 with 3G-SDI HD-SDI Support Cable >100m and Full HD on amazon, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013SPYFMW/ref=abs_brd_tag_dp?smid=A2WXIT89T9GC4E which I wonder if it would work???

The question is: can your modem (and/or your router), by themselves, A. accept cable/Coaxial-TV-cable input? and B. can they decode and authorize the Comcast signal? (NOTE: the modem you have 'can' decode Comcast signal *if* when hooked up to the cable to their gateway as it is, in place of their gateway, you can receive internet of any kind through it.) ... I strongly suspect 'no', in either or both A. &/or B.

I was thinking splitting after their gateway box, on the LAN scale as it were. So you'd have two WiFi networks with different passwords and differing levels of security/password *****

The splitter would probably be good enough as a 'passive' splitter, from what I know of these things.

Whether that splitter would work is another question also. Does your Comcast cable line use SDI, and is it either 270 Megabits per second, or anything up to 540 Megabits per second?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
my surfboard 6190 modem and Asus router were working well until my daughter wanted to have her TV in the living room run wirelessly over the fireplace, which meant using Comcast's wireless HD receiver box on the back of that TV. And comcast told me after trying for several hours to get that combo to work that I couldn't have the coax to a splitter to then 2 outputs to their gateway AND my combo.My Surfboard modem accepts the usual coax cable .I would prefer to NOT use comcast's gateway for MY personal internet reception, as my ASUS router incorporates more extensively managed software within it, and has Trend Micro's AV software screening the data coming in and even in the past warning me that I was heading to a site that had malware.

OK. If you can get that working with a non-passive / powered splitter, such as the one you cited for example from Amazon, then all to the good. Whether it will work or not... to some extent depends upon whether you can get it to work. After all, the Comcast tech tried for several hours to get a different splitting hookup working... so it was within possibility in that tech's view, that you might be able to get such a hookup working perhaps.

Perhaps that failed simply because the coaxial line isn't really bearing as strong a signal as it should, for whatever of various reasons, from Comcast's equipment farther up the line.

If you think it is worth a try, by all mean go ahead.

Does this answer your question? if so, would you be willing to rate my work and my answer?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'll give it a shot.Thanks.5 star.

Great! I hope it does work. At any rate it's a possibly feasible effort for sure.

If you would, please rate my 5 stars on the JustAnswer page at the top, also. Thank you, ***** ***** a pleasant evening.