Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I need to connect a new laptop to my printer and have no…

I need to connect...

I need to connect a new laptop to my printer and have no idea what the pass phrase is.

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your laptop, and what operating system are you running?

Its a hp notebook windows10

Technician's Assistant: What happened right before this popped up?

I was trying to connect

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

None really, other than searching the net for help

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

I'm pretty tech illiterate...lol

8/31/2017
Ashik, PC Technician

Hi, I'm Ashik. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP

Is your laptop already connected to your WiFi network ?

No, I still can't get it connected

Do you have any computer there that is already connected to your WiFi network ?

No thank you, that's just going to cost me more money.!!!
I just want to know how to find my printers pass phrase

No I don't, I only have my iPhone that has previously been connected...

It is asking for the WiFi password. Check the bottom or back of your router and do you see the password ***** e?

If not, what is the model and make of your router ?

No it doesn't ask for the password...
I can't find the password ***** on the printer...
It's a Canon MG3600 series

There is no special password ***** printer. You need the WiFi password ***** connect the printer or your new laptop to WiFi network and then they will see each other. Did you check the back or bottom of the router/modem ?

Or don't you have a router/modem there ?

I don't have a router or modem. I just hotspot from my phone

If you don't have a WiFi modem or router there, then you need to enable the WiFi Access point mode on the printer and then connect to the printer.

Turn on the printer. Then press and hold Wi-Fi button and release it when ON lamp flashes. Press Black button, Color button, and then Wi-Fi button in this order. The ON lamp changed from flashing to lit and the access point mode is enabled.

When the access point mode is enabled, you need to connect the laptop to your printer by clicking the the WiFi icon and selecting printer name on the laptop. The password ***** be your printer's serial number which you can find on the printer itself (on the back on a sticker) or on the box came with it.

(You need to run the disc came with your printer install it, if you have not done it already)

Another option, which I would recommend since you don't have a router/modem is, get a printer USB cable and then connect the printer to your laptop using that cable. Then you can print without any issues.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

Thanks heaps. I'll give it a go a bit later on...

No problem. Remember, the password ***** ***** serial number of your printer on WiFi Accesspoint method. In WiFi accesspoint, it will show as a WiFi network on laptop or on your iPhone.

I'd recommend the USB cable method. If you don't have the USb cable came with the printer, then you can buy the Printer USB cable from a local store for less than $5

With USB cable method, you don't need to do any kind of configuration/password, but you need to install the disc came with the printer.

Ashik, PC Technician