Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Network Architect
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt. Certified Network Engineer/Architect
23511658

We live in an RV park for the winter, the park provides wifi

We live in an RV park for the winter, the park provides wifi service but only around the clubhouse and common areas. We purchased a wifi extender and a router because we were advised that this would bring the signal to our unit. It's all been connected but I don't see the park's network come up in my wifi connections. Bot***** *****ne it's not picking up the signal. Did I purchase the correct equipment or just not connecting correctly. Please help with step by step instructions.

Hello. My name is***** will be helping you with your question today. Please give me a moment to review your question and respond.

Where did you locate the extender?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it's plugged into an outlet and connected to the router inside the RV
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you working on it?

Thank you. That's the reason it's not helping.

The range extender is meant to be within the range of the original signal. Then, it can receive the signal and re-transmit it.

If it is near your computer, which isn't receiving a signal, it will not receive a signal either.

Do you know about how far you are away from the main wifi signal?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The original signal is about a half a mile away and the extender is suppose to connect up to 1 and a half miles away. are you able to tell how far away the signal is?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will ask the rv park how far away the signal is from us. Do you recommend a particular extender?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Should I buy a more powerful extender? which do you recommend?

They all work similarly. But they must be within the range of the original signal.

What I would do instead, is try using a high gain antenna on your wireless router.

The power of the extender won't matter, since it is also receiving the signal. It is the receiving part that it's having a problem with. And that depends on the signal coming from the main wifi source.

In other words, the extender must be placed in a location that your computer could get a signal. Then it will extend it from there.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Does the antenna go inside or outside the rv and which do you recommend?

I would get one to go outside if you can... that will give you the most range.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Which one do you recommend?

Let me give you a couple of examples. They are directional, which is really what you need.

http://bitli.es/POvj9e

http://bitli.es/nO0eh2

Both Excellent. I would get the T-Link if I were buying one.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How do you connected to the router?

TP-Link rather.

Also, make sure you are connecting through 2.4ghz and not 5ghz. 2.4ghz is much better at traveling distances and through objects.

Your router must have an external antenna - it will just attach in place of that.

You just unscrew the antenna and screw the cable in from the new one.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, I'll take the extender back and purchase the antenna, if I have more questions can I just come back to you or do I need to star all over with a new tech?

Just come back to me.

Please remember to click the 5 star rating and submit before leaving, then bookmark the page.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will thank you
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
One more question is this an easy or not so difficult install or should I get a tech to install it?

It's pretty easy. It's small, and lightweight. You should have no problem.

It's directional, so just point it as closely as you can to where the wifi source is.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you!!

You're welcome!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Michael, I spoke to the tech that installs the antennas here for the rv park. He said it's not an antenna he installs but a routerboard, does that make sense?

That terminology doesn't mean anything to me.