Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

I seek assistance on steps and devices required to trace

connections from patch panels to...
I seek assistance on steps and devices required to trace connections from patch panels to wall ports.The data points are connected from switch ports to patch panel.The networking done by previous staff is difficult to trace without an inventory file.I got 100 odd wall jack ports and I have to trace down where it's connected to in the switch.Similarly need to trace Rj11 cables from user desk to patch panel and record in a new voice point inventory file
8/21/2017
Pete, Networking Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

You can use a line tracker or a RJ11 test tool:

https://www.amazon.com/Tacklife-Collation-Telephone-Continuity-Checking/dp/B01MQO7VRD/

https://www.amazon.com/Merkmak-RJ11Cat5-Handheld-Telephone-Detector/dp/B06WRQSM24/

--------------------
Your satisfaction is my priority; I hope I have earned 5 stars today!
Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press Submit at the top of your question page to finish; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back after rating me if you need any further assistance at all.
Pete.
--------------------

Hi Pete thanks for the details.Do u have links on YouTube or instructions on how to use the devices mentioned on the amazon links.Sure I'll rate your expert service in due course :)

Sure!

Here is a guide to how these testers work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWhGBrOz8o0

Pete, Networking Engineer
Pete, Networking Engineer