Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

I just bought a Samsung Smartcam. I have followed the

I just bought a Samsung...
I just bought a Samsung Smartcam. I have followed the wireless setup several times( a 100) but the device won't connect to my wifi. Troubleshooting suggest it may be a router issue.
JA: Have you tried unplugging your router for about ten seconds? And what about other devices? Do they have connectivity?
Customer: My Roku and DVD connected without issue but a wifi weight scale won't connect either. I gave up on that. Is my security WEP or WPA?
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: I had a landline installed and had to replace the router to accommodate it.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. Thanks.
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/21/2017
Viet - Network Tech
Viet - Network Tech, Computer Support Specialist

I'm sorry about the issue. What's the error or message?

What is the make / model of your Internet modem/router device?

Do you have windows xp, vista, or 7, or 8, 10, or mac computer?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Windows 10, the smartcam doesn't connect to wifi and times out. Arris /TG1682g.
I do not want to securely connect
are you still there?

With remote support, you can see everything I do on the screen, and we have an A+ service rating at the Better Business Bureau website:
http://www.bbb.org/greater-san-francisco/business-reviews/professional-services-general/justanswer-in-san-francisco-ca-82403/
Remote support is quicker and easier for you as I will do all the troubleshooting steps for you. Also, this issue can be complicated. Otherwise, I will provide written instructions.

Are you able to log in your Arris router through your Windows 10 computer?
How about with a small amount as shown for direct remote support?
Please let me know your option; we guarantee our service. Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

I will attempt to log in to my router
What do you want me to do now. I have verified my password ***** SSID.

OK, be careful with changing anything on your router as it might affect the connection on your devices, such as computer, roku, dvd, etc. Once you have logged in your router, go to the Wireless / security option and check the security / encryption type / option it is showing there.

What will you be accessing? Just my router. I don't want to give you passwords.

That's correct. Just your router, and you don't need to give me any password. Thank you.

Viet - Network Tech

Thank you. On your computer, please click on the website below in order to connect with me remotely, then I can help you directly:

http://tinyurl.com/yd5l4sfp
, then allow the Elsinore.ScreenConnect program to download/run/open when prompted at the bottom.
Note: If it does not connect within 5 minutes, then please reply at the box below and let me know. Thank you,

I just told you I don't want you in my computer.
The device only connects through my Android.

I would need to connect to your computer in order to log in your router through your computer, so I can check on the router's settings. I will only check on the router, nothing else. You can see everything I do on the computer's screen. Thank you.

No. I don't want to continue this.
Keep the $5 and tell me what to do.

Here is our service review:

No problem; I'm providing written instructions per your request. On the computer, can you log in the router now?

By the way, who is your internet service provider?

xfinity/comcast
  1. On your computer, click on the website below:
    http://10.0.0.1
  2. Then log in with username admin and password password.
  3. Then select Gateway.
  4. Then click on Connection.
  5. Then click on Wi-Fi.
  6. Then click on EDIT to each of your Wi-Fi network name (SSID)
  7. Then there, can you change the security / encryption type / option to WPA... + WPA2.
  8. Then apply / save.
  9. Then wait a bit, and try setting up the Samsung Smartcam again.

Thank you.

It is already WPA2-psk(AES) recommended.

No, can you set it to WPA/WPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES)..., then save the settings? Or can you tell me all the security mode options there?

I will set to wpa/wpa2-psk (tkip/aes

Yes, please do that, then save. Then wait a few minutes, then try to set up Samsung Smartcam again. Thank you.

Will this affect my other devices?

It should not since the password ***** ***** changed. Thanks.

I will try now.
The camera only gives option for WEP, None and WPA2-psk(AES).

Please make sure you did select WPA/WPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES) and save on the router first. Then disconnect power from camera for a minute, then re-connect, then try to set up the camera again. If the camera does not give any other option, then select WPA2-psk(AES) for the camera. Thanks.

Still waiting to retry...

OK, thanks.

reconnecting..

If it still does not work, disconnect the power cord from your Arris TG1682g router for a couple of minutes, then re-connect, then wait a couple of minutes. Then disconnect / reconnect power cord of camera again and try again.

Does it ask for password ***** setting up the camera?

Thank you.

It does ask for a password ***** I did verify the password. The new WPA2 did not work will set it back to original setting before I power down router.

No, do not set back to original. Please keep WPA/WPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES) on the router, then disconnect / reconnect router / camera and try again. Thank you.

OK

Thanks.

No go..... What next?

Did you confirm the Wi-Fi / network password ***** passphrase in Gateway -> Connection -> Wi-Fi -> EDIT at the website http://10.0.0.1/?

Also, there should be two network names (SSID) showing at Gateway -> Connection -> Wi-Fi. Can you make sure both network names' encryption mode are set to WPA/WPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES)...?

on both items. I am changing back to original WPA...

Should not change back to original WPA... as all your devices should still be working.

Did you confirm passwords for both network names / items at Gateway -> Connection -> Wi-Fi?

Can you test if you can connect the weight scale with option WPA/WPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES) set on router?

I will try the scale.

Alright, thanks.

The scale nor camera works on either networks.

Is the Wi-Fi passphrase long in Gateway -> Connection -> Wi-Fi -> EDIT? Note: The passphrase is case-sensitive.

All numbers 10 numbers
I manually added the smartcam mac address to my devices on gateway. Is that ok?

Can you disable the MAC address filter option at the Gateway router?

Will try. It was on allow all i changed to deny

Please make sure to set to Allow all and save, and keep option WPA/WPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES) and save, then try again. Thanks.

Allow all selected as well as wpa2...trip. Trying ahain
Not working

I'm sorry. Do you have a tablet or smartphone?

Smartphone and tabletm. Which do you prefer?

Go to Wi-Fi setting on smartphone or tablet, then tap on your network name, then tap on Forget option, then see if you can re-connect with the wi-fi passphrase.

Ok
i was able to reconnecy

Can you go to Gateway -> Connection -> Software to check if there is any firmware / software update?

Ok. No updates.

I'm sorry; I tried, but it seems the camera is not compatible with this router. Maybe you can try getting a new router from Xfinity / comcast. Thanks.

Ok.

If you need anything else or have further question later on, please let me know. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you. ***** be charged?

You're welcome. It's your choice. Thanks.

$20 for the attempt. How do i do that?

You don't have to do anything. I'll have our customer service takes care of this. Thank you very much.

Viet - Network Tech
Viet - Network Tech