Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

We have a Win 7 / Windows 2013 Server based network. All the…

Customer Question
We have a Win 7...
We have a Win 7 / Windows 2013 Server based network. All the users physically located at the building where the server is use RDP to do all their work. I need a method to connect to their RDP session to fix problems without kicking them off of their session.
Possibly?
Thanks
Kevin
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Networking
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/4/2017
Network Technician: Syseng, Computer Systems Engineer replied 6 months ago
Syseng
Syseng, Computer Systems Engineer

My name is David.

Please click the link below and follow the instructions to connect to user RDP sessions:

click here

Please let me know the result and if you need further assistance.

Thank you,

David.

David,
Thanks. Does this work in Windows Server 2012 Standard?
Kevin

Yes it works in Server 2012 and 2012 R2 as well.

Just let me know if you need assistance with any of the steps in the procedure.

Thanks,

David.

David,
When I right click on a session I don't have that option. I have "Disconnect", "Send Message" or "Log off".
Thoughts?
Thanks
Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Just to clarify, is the platform Windows Server 2012 Standard or 2012 R2 Standard?

If its not R2 then upgrade to R2 and shadowing will then become available.

Windows Server 2012 Standard....no R2 in the name.
Is there a cost to upgrading to R2? If so, can I just do an add-on to the existing OS?
Thanks
Kevin

There is no cost if your current Windows Server 2012 license has Software Assurance which is part of Microsoft Volume Licensing. If so then obtain the Windows Server 2012 R2 install media through the same channel as you obtained the current Windows Server 2012 OS and perform an in place upgrade.

Thanks.
I'm not sure if the license has Software Assurance. Is there a method for checking that?
Kevin

If the server is one of many systems used in your organization then it may be part of a volume license program. If you have volume licensing then your organization will have a volume licensing account and be able to login to the Microsoft Volume Licensing Center web site and check on your license status. The login for that web site would include the email address given to Microsoft when the software license was purchased. Here is a link to the volume license center web site where you can try to register an account and login with an email address that may have been given when the license for the server was purchased:

click here

No...its not that. We buy our servers (3 currently running the whole operation) from Dell and have them put the OS on them.
Thoughts?
Thanks
Kevin

What OS originally came with the servers? Do you have a service tag for the server that I could use to look it up?

The server originally came with Server 2012 Standard.

Ok, then look for the Dell service tag number on the server and then go to the Dell Support web site at the following link:

click here

Type the service tag number into the web page and submit the service tag. The page that displays will show you what the server originally shipped with and any drivers and software updates that are available for the server. Look to see if there is a Windows Server 2012 R2 upgrade in the list.

Syseng
Syseng
Syseng, Computer Systems Engineer