Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I have a Netgear router that is used as a Base Station for…

Customer Question
I have a Netgear...

I have a Netgear router that is used as a Base Station for my Arlo security system and recently it has started dropping the internet connection which is making my camera security system useless. What has happened to make it do this?

Technician's Assistant: What's the model of your Netgear router?

VMB3000

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far?

I did a hard reboot, turning power off the computer, the modem and the Netgear and then slowly started them up again, first the computer, then the modem and then the Netgear. I have just separated theNetgear from the modem rather than having them next to each other. My modem is a brand new Arris Surfboard.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the network expert to know before I connect you?

No, that's it for now.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Networking
8/3/2017
Network Technician: Russell H., Internet and LAN replied 8 months ago
Russell H., Internet and LAN

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
There could be several answers to your question at this point, so I have to ask a bit more, please: how does it act, when the internet connection is dropped? status lights on modem still OK? and what is your internet service?

Does the router drop the INTERNET, with the modem? or does it drop the wireless connection to whatever devices it is connected to?

I have Comcast internet connection; When it drops the internet, the internet icon goes amber, power and camera lights stay green but without the internet, the cameras do not record; the modem does not seem to be affected.

OK. Then that's the symptoms of a likely router problem.

To check on one last possible thing: Does the router have WiFi capability? if so, is it configured with a 'password' for WiFi access to it or through it, and with what level of security (WEP, WEP-128-bit, WPA, PSK, etc. etc. etc.) ?

the router has wifi through the Modem; connected to the Arlo system with a password, but other than that, no password. Are you familiar with the Arlo wireless security camera system? The router that we are presently speaking of is a replacement for the router that I used to have which I thought that with this "problem", that my other router was broken, but now the new router is doing the same thing as the old router - so I do not believe that the router is damaged.

The Netgear would offer WiFi / wireless, through itself, to your network, router, cameras, and to the internet through the modem.

So: does the Netgear itself have WiFi configured on it? (I can examine this for you, at an additional fee, incidentally.)

(And if so, further, how is it configured?)

Let's just cancel this subscription, and I will look for this answer elsewhere. At this point in time I am concerned that you are unable to answer this relatively simple question. I have notified my credit card company not to accept any more charges and I have requested that they not process this one either as you have done absolutely nothing with regard to assistance for me.

The WiFi access could be being hacked, if you cannot confirm it is configured, protected by security, or has a password, then it is very likely being hacked/disrupted, etc.

I can answer that simple question. WiFi security is necessary to prevent router hacking. And for two routers to fail in the same manner is very odd, *if* it were a router failure.

That's my answer, and it is honest and direct.

I have done something to assist you. Please instruct your credit card co. to disregard such orders as those you just gave, it would be the right thing to do. JustAnswer provides good services.

I have no power over charges, billing, no access to your credit information. For all such concerns I must refer you to Customer Support at JustAnswer.com. They may be reached at

***@******.***

or through Chat or Phone by way of this page:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us

Thank you for asking your question here at JustAnswer.com.

ROFLMAO - you have done nothing. My system has not been hacked.

How do you know? I'm willing to help you, you know. And your router is what may be being hacked - both of the ones you have found to be defective somehow.

Or perhaps your modem, despite your not having noted any change, is where the fault is. It's possible, perhaps.

Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer